UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Jun 2006, 6:16 pm   #1
DoctorWho
Rest in Peace

Default Regentone TR20 Lacking Width Advice please? Also EHT transformer replacement

I have a Regentone TR20 combined radio and TV set which had been partially restored before I bought it, it only remained for me to replace a few old wax condensers for the set to operate well.

It looks as though the mains EHT transformer must have had a problem as the EHT winding has been completely removed and an old tripler from a colour TV (dated 1980) has been connected to the top cap of the EL38.

The set works very well, but it does lack some picture width, this can be increased by increasing the brightness or contrast controls, but this does make the picture too bright and effects the focus.

Would it worth trying a new EL30 to correct this, or do I need to get a new transformer to supply the mains EHT as before and simply mount this alongside the existing transformer? If the latter can anyone suggest where I can find a suitable transformer to supply the required EHT?

I imagine this set to be late 1940's and, as it works so wel, it would be nice to be able to resolve this width issue.

Thanks for any help/advice.

Peter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Regentone TR20 1946.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	4092  
Old 7th Jun 2006, 7:36 pm   #2
brunel
Heptode

Default Re: Regentone TR20 Lacking Width Advice please?

The EHT could be too high using a tripler. I doubt if you will find replacement an EHT Tx.

If you could obtain a doubler just to try. I am not certain, but I believe the Thorn 1500 20" chassis used a doubler.

Regards

Brunel
Old 7th Jun 2006, 7:52 pm   #3
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

The transformer could be rewound though I'm not sure who would do this. Is this a job for Ed Dinning?

Brandenburg make a wide selection of high voltage modules for many applications. I'm sure one could be hidden in the set.

http://www.brandenburg.co.uk/
Old 7th Jun 2006, 9:03 pm   #4
DoctorWho
Rest in Peace

That's interesting. I don;t know what voltage the EHT is actually running at as I have no suitable volt meter for such high voltages. From the symptoms I have described do you think replacing the EL38 would be advisable to try? I see from the service data the EHT should be 7kv.

Thanks for the tip abour Brandenberg, am I right to presume that I would need to opt for a 7kv AC output and the rectify this to DC, or do I need a different AC voltage to obtain 7kv DC rectified?

Peter.
Old 7th Jun 2006, 9:16 pm   #5
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Get a DC supply and forget about the rectifier. Actually you could leave the rectifier in there with a DC supply - it wouldn't make a lot of difference - but you would still need to find power for the heater.

I haven't used one of these Brandenburg modules but I have used other Brandenburg kit in the past and it's all very high quality stuff. Actually far higher quality than you need for a vintage TV. The outputs are very smooth and stable. The only snags I can see with them are that they are not authentic and you need to find a low voltage supply to power them. Might be possible to take that from the heater circuit.
Old 7th Jun 2006, 9:46 pm   #6
DoctorWho
Rest in Peace

Thanks Jeffrey. The rectifier valve still has its heater supply intact, it's only the EHT winding which is completely missing. What would you suggest I use as a DC power supply, I have looked at the Brandenberg supplies and they do a 7.5kv unit at a very low current rating. Would you imagine this would be suitable as it's 500v higher than spec?

I did think of mounting a small modern power supply hidden away to power up the Brandenberg unit, that's no problem. I imagine the current required is very minimal, so that should work very well.

I would welcome any other suggestions, but if it is felt that the 7.5KV unit would be adequate then I'll look further in to one of those.

Thanks again,

Peter.
Old 7th Jun 2006, 9:53 pm   #7
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Gent, I'm afraid I don't have the kit for EHT overwind of the flyback variety and its also very difficult to get the silk & enamelled wire. I can do the (leathal) mains derived EHT transformers but only up to 6KV.
It is possible to build your own doubler with pulse caps and colour TV focus rectifiers.
Certainly if the EHT is too high the beam becomes "stiff" and needs more deflection power or gives a narrow picture.

HTH Ed
Old 7th Jun 2006, 10:03 pm   #8
DoctorWho
Rest in Peace

Hello Ed,

Thanks for the advice. I think you may have cracked the problem here, from what you have describd I suspect the EHT is probably too high, as the picture is indeed "stiff" and narrow.

Do you have a 6KV transformer available? If so I presume I could just instal one of those besides the original transformer and connect up that way. This would at least return the set to original spec. Also I imagine the picture would be fine on 6KV as there is plenty of "play" on both the brightness and contrast.

If this is not possible does anyone have a double from a colour set available please? I don't have anything like that, and if all else fails it sounds like this would be worth a try.

Thanks again.

Peter.
Old 8th Jun 2006, 7:46 am   #9
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

If you use a Brandenburg module there are several possibilities. The 568 series goes up to 6kV and will probably be the cheapest option. The 3590 goes up to 7.5kV. It looks like all of them have variable output voltage - for the 568 it's simply a matter of varying the input voltage.
Old 8th Jun 2006, 12:53 pm   #10
DoctorWho
Rest in Peace

Thanks Jeffrey, I have sent them an enquiry, so we'll see what they come back with.

I have noticed that the EL38 has a blue glow whilst operating, I imagine this may well be due to the extra load the tripler is putting on it. What do others think?

Peter.
Closed Thread