UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd May 2006, 12:57 pm   #1
Sam
Hexode

Default Journal Articles on TV Developments

Another one of my 'general information' kind of threads...

As I am well into my final year at Uni now I soon won't be able to access the Journals in the basement of the University Library, so I want to try and get copies of as many interesting articles as I can before I leave. So, does anyone know of Journal articles submitted by people who helped develop television. Things like articles on the Marconi-EMI system, early colour experiments (PAL, NTSC, SECAM, whatever), or other articles people know of in a similar vein.

The library has the Journal of the IEE and the Proceedings of the Royal Society.

Sam
Old 4th May 2006, 12:05 am   #2
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Journal Articles on TV Developments

Proc IEE vol 83 no 504 December 1938: Lots of EMI at Ally Pally papers

IEE conference publication 271 1986. Conference on history of TV

All the Bruch PAL papers. Sorry, don't know where they were published (orig German , also English translation)
Old 12th Jun 2006, 1:48 pm   #3
Sam
Hexode

Trust me to drag this back from the depths...

Vol 83 (1938) does have a lot of information on the M-EMI system: a detailed description of the London service by T MacNamara and D Birkenshaw, with field strength maps, plans of the Cable route around London, layout plans of Alexandra Palace, and descriptions of the equipment (studio and outside broadcast). A second article is a technical description of the waveform, cameras, studio equipment, and Transmitter by A Blumlein, C Browne, N Davis, and E Green. A look through earier volumes yielded an article by L Bedford and O Puckle on the Velocity-Modulation Television System Cossor developed. That was in Vol 75 (1934)

Sam
Old 12th Jun 2006, 2:10 pm   #4
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

EMI were rather secretive and did not publish many papers about television. The 1938 IEE papers are a notable exception. In their defence they were a commercial organisation trying to make money out of TV, not an academic lab whose primary business is publishing papers.

There are a lot of patent applications, many in the name of a certain A.D. Blumlein.
Closed Thread