UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Apr 2010, 6:54 pm   #1
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Interesting report on vintage radio collecting!

Whilst googling for something else, I came across an intersting 30-page well reseached paper on the changing face of vintage radio collecting in the era of internet. For anyone interested, it can be found at this link:

http://www.essex.ac.uk/chimera/conte...radiophile.pdf

David.
Old 26th Apr 2010, 7:29 pm   #2
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Intersting report on vintage radio collecting!

The author, Becky Ellis, is a lecturer at Essex University. A few years ago she was doing research for that report in the forum under the name "Dustheap Boffin". The Chimera research unit at Essx was closed down just over a year ago. Some of the staff transferred to the sociology department. http://cresi.essex.ac.uk/getperson?personID=3

Becky and her partner regularly have a stall at the NVCF.
Old 26th Apr 2010, 10:23 pm   #3
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Intersting report on vintage radio collecting!

Thanks for reading my post Jeffrey and for the info and the link to Becky at essex Uni, which outlines her PhD research and prodigious output of papers, several of which are of interest to the vintage radio fraternity - in particular, the influence of e-bay, for good or ill.

I wonder if she'll be having a stand at the NVCF this year?

Now I know what she looks like, maybe I'll be able to put a face to a name!

Regards,

David
Old 27th Apr 2010, 2:47 pm   #4
mhennessy
Dekatron

Default Re: Interesting report on vintage radio collecting!

Hi,

Having just skimmed the report, I'm interested in peoples opinions. Especially about how eBay has changed swapmeets (this NVCF will be my first). For example, pages 24-25 paint a fairly gloomy picture about this...

The report is 6 years old, so with the benefit of hindsight, what do people think?

Mark
Old 27th Apr 2010, 5:09 pm   #5
Aub
Nonode

Just looks like a big plug for ebay really, especially as it was 6 years ago.

Aub
Old 27th Apr 2010, 5:11 pm   #6
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

This has been around a year so back,not certain where i read it.

David
Old 27th Apr 2010, 5:30 pm   #7
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

More than a year ago, probably 2 or 3 years. Unfortunately, as far as I can see, all posts by DustheapBoffin (2004-2006 era) and older threads about this have been deleted.
Old 8th May 2010, 6:28 pm   #8
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

I couldn't read all that ,I hate scrolling action on computers makes me dizzy .
Re Marks question ,
Things have definitely changed since Ebay started .Prices have dramatically dropped at swap meets. I sold quite a few sets about 10 years ago from my earlier radio collection when thinning out. They on average made good prices at BVWS auctions. At recent auctions I have been to, which often include items of quality from peoples collections donated to the BVWS ,I have had a few good buys and seen plenty of bargains .Unfortunately some ordinary sets don't make anything much at all .Its a buyers market.Unless its something very special.But this is also the same in the antiques trade generally at the moment.
I believe the availability of rarer less seen items suddenly becoming visible on ebay makes it easier to collect stuff .I started collecting 405 line Tvs a few years ago and within 3 years had a house full of very nice sets ,some of which i then had to pass on.It was that easy .I would not have had been able to do this at swapmeets .
I am in two minds about it .I like ebay for its ease of viewing items etc,and its ability to bring rarer objects available ,but it leaves alot to be desired and is addictive .I regularily look at Tvs But rarely at vintage radios as im too temped with some that appear to go so cheep ...Prices are also fickle ,a set can go for well over its worth one min then next to nothing the next.
I really like swapmeets ,and when younger used to get excited about what i could find to buy , which was limited to what was on offer and what i could afford ,which was usually less than £40 in those days .I actually lament the drop in prices ,mainly for the reason that it junks alot of sets .
Closed Thread