UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Jul 2008, 11:25 pm   #1
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Default NVCF just a thought.

I have just read In the Summer Bulletin that the Spring event made a "healthy return", The first in a few years I believe, does this mean it might be possible to have the Autumn event again? Or should we be content with just the Spring one bearing in mind the cost of fuel and not forgetting the amount of work the BVWS members put in to each Fair for which we are very grateful. John C BVWS member.
Old 8th Jul 2008, 6:02 pm   #2
ianj
Heptode

Default Re: NVCF just a thought.

I always seem to miss the once yearly one, but with 2 a year, I could make one or the other, you know? Its b*^^^ hard work, though, isnt it? ianj
Old 8th Jul 2008, 6:09 pm   #3
Steve_P
Dekatron

It's also b***** hard work for the organisers, which is why it was taken down from 2 a year to one. If you knew what went on behind the scenes to make these things happen, you would understand why it is only once a year.

Of course if you want to help the committee or put your own event on, then go right ahead!

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 8th Jul 2008, 11:24 pm   #4
ianj
Heptode

Yeah! thats what I mean-b*(^*( hard work, so I understand why its once a year......ianj
Old 9th Jul 2008, 8:02 am   #5
Duke_Nukem
Octode

Though not involved myself, I do know the NVCF is an aweful lot of work. But that is not the reason that the NVCF was reduced to once per year.

Attendance had been falling and the event was not profitable. If it had continued like that then there wouldn't be any NVCF's at all.

The change of venue has of course helped a lot.

Re-instating the second event has not been ruled out, however it would be wrong to forge ahead with it based only on the results of one event, and also bear in mind that a second NVCF may result in loss of other event(s) that might be adversly affected by the NVCF.

TTFN,
Jon
Old 9th Jul 2008, 8:35 am   #6
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke_Nukem View Post
...and also bear in mind that a second NVCF may result in loss of other event(s) that might be adversly affected by the NVCF.
June Harpenden looked very thin this year. Possibly as a result of being too soon after NVCF.

Better to have fewer and better events. Who wants to go to a meeting where both stallholders and attendees are both few in number.
Old 10th Jul 2008, 4:48 pm   #7
murphymad
Heptode

Hi All,

I have to tell you that there are no plans currently to stage two events each year.

One event per year keeps the show "Special" and also means that those stall holders who attend do not wish to miss it and hence make sure they are there.
This means that the event is full and busy for both stall holders and visitors alike.

As mentioned here by others, it takes a great deal of time to organise these shows and one a year is enough with everything else we do within the BVWS.

The event does now make a good return, which is used for BVWS member benefits, paying for displays etc. at the events and also some funding for the British Vintage Wireless and Television Museum.

All the best,

Mike...
Old 10th Jul 2008, 5:03 pm   #8
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

I'd agree with what Jeffery is saying in post #6; there are only a limited number of weekends in a year, and some of us never have enough of them!
Better for one annual event to look forward to. The amount of time needed to organise such things is incredible as Mike points out - bin there, dun that.

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 11th Jul 2008 at 7:52 am. Reason: Typo
Old 10th Jul 2008, 5:20 pm   #9
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

And too many events leads to the same stallholders at each event with the same tired old stuff (As you can prove by attending the "craft and collectors" fairs in my neck of the woods).

Regards,