UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Aug 2017, 9:18 am   #81
Andrew2
Nonode

Default Re: Radio Caroline to return on Medium Wave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junk Box Nick View Post
I was a Caroline listener and though pleased that they were defiant I felt a massive sadness. I think, despite the defiance, we rather knew it couldn't last. The signal from the South ship seemed to get worse - probably reducing power to save fuel - and there was ultimately the second sadness when the ships were towed away in March 1968. I remember an announcement that it was "for a few weeks" but deep down I knew that was it.

At a young age I didn't understand all the implications but it was now Radio One, Luxembourg, AFN and whatever else I could find twiddling around the medium waves (I never could hear Veronica on 192/1562kHz) until another pirate era arrived.
In 1967/8 we were living in the Midlands and my morning listening while getting ready for school consisted of hopping between the two Caroline ships, both of which were decent signals. One morning in March I leaned out of bed and turned my Bush valve radio on and received only silence. I twiddled the knob to the other ship, but again got nothing. I could understand one ship not being on (maybe a transmitter problem) but BOTH ships off...? I suspected something was wrong and I was right. Despite my tuning in every spare minute for days and weeks afterwords, that was the end. It was like losing a member of the family.
But then I discovered Radio Veronica!
Old 3rd Aug 2017, 11:56 am   #82
Half a Mullard
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by telstar View Post
I have read that there is an event for Caroline in September at Felixstowe, Suffolk - something to look forward to. Are there any other events to celebrate 50 years since 1967 closure?
Hi Mike

There's this one in Clacton a week on Sunday
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170803_114942.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	147289  
Old 4th Aug 2017, 1:35 pm   #83
telstar
Octode

Hi Many thanks for the information Howard. Not sure if I can get down to Clacton then, but I have a holiday booked in September and will definitely attend the one at Felixstowe. It also gives me an opportunity to visit Suffolk (where I once lived 1962 to 1967).
When you think about it, you only get "pirate" radio when there is a massive fault in the state broadcasting of a country! Take for example New Zealand - they had similar problems. Radio Huraki operated from a ship. The government there actually recognized that there was a fault in their broadcasting system, and granted them a licence to operate independently. See what could be achieved there and why is it not possible here?
Old 20th Aug 2017, 8:01 pm   #84
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I had assumed that the broadcasts might resume via the 1983 installed RCA Ampliphase (50kW) transmitter on reduced power with just an antennae mod and crystals, but I've heard they will need a new, presumably low-power, transmitter. Does any one know the lastest? I occasionally tune in for a test pilot tone, but nothing as yet.
Old 21st Aug 2017, 1:43 pm   #85
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Telstar, The main (from a broadcasting point of view) between UK & NZ, is that the latter is maybe 1000 miles from any other inhabited land. I don't know how frequency allocations are/were managed in that area, perhaps Arjoll will enlighten us, but given the distance between NZ and other places, I'd imagine that co or adjacent channel interference, even by night, is less of a problem than in Europe. AFAIK no really high power MW stations in either NZ or Australia, either)
Old 21st Aug 2017, 2:09 pm   #86
telstar
Octode

Point taken, but even Johnny Walker pointed this fact out on some documentary about the NZ government admitting that their system failed the public with respect to what they wanted to listen to.
I remember reading about Radio London and the fact that someone in Yugoslavia complained about interference being caused by them to Radio Zagreb. Radio London asked the embassy in London about the problem and they admitted that they did not know anything about it. It turned out that someone had made the interference allegation up as a joke/story.
It would be great to hear Radio Seagull's transmissions here where I live, but there are plenty of new stations that blot it out that originate from Europe.
Old 22nd Aug 2017, 5:03 pm   #87
winston_1
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'LIVEWIRE?' View Post
Telstar, The main (from a broadcasting point of view) between UK & NZ, is that the latter is maybe 1000 miles from any other inhabited land. I don't know how frequency allocations are/were managed in that area, perhaps Arjoll will enlighten us, but given the distance between NZ and other places, I'd imagine that co or adjacent channel interference, even by night, is less of a problem than in Europe. AFAIK no really high power MW stations in either NZ or Australia, either)
They are not high power but when was in NZ in the 70's stations from Queensland, Australia could be easily received at night. Probably because there are few stations in NZ. I never managed to receive NZ stations in Aus because the band there was pretty full anyway.
Old 23rd Aug 2017, 5:17 pm   #88
G1RAO keith
Pentode

Hi
Same hear is it a secret or what I have tried to find the frequency radio Caroline are on or going to be on, maybe its me not looking hard enough
Old 23rd Aug 2017, 5:22 pm   #89
Station X

648kHz, the old BBC World Service MW frequency. 1kW erp.

http://www.radiocaroline.co.uk/#am_plans.html

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 23rd Aug 2017, 8:30 pm   #90
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

There's no mention on the Caroline website of 648kHz, at least, not by following that link, Graham. Unless I've missed anythinh it's their homepage, which promotes three services, including that relayed by Manx radio. In any case the 648kHz transmitter is only going to be audible in parts of East Anglia, as I believe it's output power is/will be only 1kW
Old 23rd Aug 2017, 8:40 pm   #91
Station X

I don't know what you're doing wrong, but it says 648 at least twice.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 23rd Aug 2017, 8:49 pm   #92
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Perhaps Livewire is viewing an old cached webpage... the following appears in bold yellow type: "We can also announce that our AM frequency will be 648 kHz with a power of 1000 watts. This is ERP or simply the power radiated by the aerial."

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 23rd Aug 2017, 9:11 pm   #93
1100 man
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
I had assumed that the broadcasts might resume via the 1983 installed RCA Ampliphase (50kW) transmitter on reduced power with just an antennae mod and crystals, but I've heard they will need a new, presumably low-power, transmitter. Does any one know the lastest? I occasionally tune in for a test pilot tone, but nothing as yet.
Hi Edward,
I usually have Caroline on from 9.00 am until about midnight most days (I don't have a TV; only 405 line ones!!) The music and lack of talking, adverts, news etc suits my listening requirements exactly
They mentioned a week or so ago that a new transmitter was 'on order'. I imagine that Ofcom would not let them use the 50KW one on reduced power- they probably don't trust them to keep it on low power!!
I don't know where the transmitter site will be- certainly not on the boat in the Blackwater estuary! They will, however, be broadcasting some programs from the 'Ross'.
As far as I know, there has been no announcement as to when broadcasts or tests will start.
If I hear anything further, I'll let everyone know.
Cheers
Nick
Old 24th Aug 2017, 6:27 pm   #94
Valvepower
Octode

Hi,

I did find the Caroline application document on the Ofcom site and the location of the transmitter is IP14 6BZ.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...87!4d1.1334627

Terry
Old 24th Aug 2017, 7:58 pm   #95
AC/HL
Dekatron

Well it's near water, just not the salty sort!
Old 25th Aug 2017, 10:33 am   #96
ms660
Dekatron

Have I missed something? Caroline has a ship with a transmitter tower on it but the transmission that's been granted will be from a land based antenna?

Lawrence.
Old 25th Aug 2017, 12:08 pm   #97
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

As Nick (1100 man) has said, presumably OFCOM would not license the use of the 50kW Transmitter on the 'Ross Revenge', even at reduced power. Perhaps similar restrictios, up to a point, apply to the granting of a permanent licence, as they do to RSLs. Doesn't OFCOM, rather than the broadcasting companies, own & operate the transmitters anyway?
Old 25th Aug 2017, 12:21 pm   #98
WaveyDipole
Nonode

Would be great to pick it up on MW again, but I don't hold out much hope picking it up in Leicestershire.
Old 25th Aug 2017, 1:29 pm   #99
Junk Box Nick
Octode

I think the lattice tower is for show. IIRC an antenna fabricator donated or subsidised its construction to return the Ross to something like its original appearance before the tall antenna collapsed following the 1987 storm. For the rest of its transmitting years the station used a T antenna between two shorter masts built at sea. The new one is not quite as impressive as the original which was humongous but it does make the Ross look like a radio ship of the days of yore.

I'd guess that the 648kHz land installation will have to conform to a fairly rigid specification. I wouldn't rule out hearing it outside its service area. A lot of the lower frequency locals can be heard well outside their service areas and many of them don't run anything like a kilowatt. A loop aerial helps a lot.
Old 25th Aug 2017, 2:16 pm   #100
telstar
Octode

It really would be great to hear this station as it should be heard - all around the U.K and without having to go on line!
Looking forward to seeing the advertised tribute event at Felixstowe in September - it should be a great weekend. There are many memories for me in east Suffolk from the early 1960's
The station should be given much better respect and coverage than what it receives at present.
Cheers
Mike
Closed Thread