UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Nov 2012, 12:12 pm   #1
bogginton
Retired Dormant Member

Default RCA AR88 Comms Receiver.

AR88 comms receiver spares/repair. £150-00.

hi i bought this ar88 from a very nice old chap from the bvws club all i know about it is its a abandoned resto project as he started and thought why go on when he has loads of other radios working i actually bought it in a joblot in answer to the Q&As it has 3 meters dials (yellow background with black lettering ) front panel is matt black also there is no "lid" to it as i understand it was in racking there is a number stamped on rear of chassis 11556 if thats any use thanks for looking phil
Old 14th Nov 2012, 9:31 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: RCA AR88 Comms Receiver.

OK, you're going to get asked for more details. There are plenty of AR88 aficionados on here.

There is the AR88 (no suffix, like a D but very early)
There is the AR88D (535kHz to 32MHz)
There is the AR88LF (Has long wave)
There is the R1556 version (like D, with diversity connector on rear drop of chassis and big antenna coax socket)

Early sets have engraved front panels (later were silk-screened) they also have all back-on-yellow tuning scales.

Does it have an S meter?

What restoration work?

I'm not looking myself, I bought a spare D earlier this year.

David
Old 16th Nov 2012, 7:09 pm   #3
turretslug
Dekatron

The AR88 isn't rare/unusual, for the money you'll need to provide photos to prove at least good condition to get people interested, as well as detail information.

"Spares/repair. £150-00" isn't the sort of phrase to set pulses racing,

Colin.
Old 16th Nov 2012, 7:22 pm   #4
bogginton
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Colin,

What sort of price do you think is realistic? It belonged to an old chap. He started restoring it but it got too much for him as it is very heavy. I think it weighs approximately 90 lbs.
Old 16th Nov 2012, 9:42 pm   #5
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

If it looks "mint" then its worth every penny. But if it's rusty (badly stored) then not so. Or if it's been got at or no case.
Old 16th Nov 2012, 10:24 pm   #6
MichaelR
Retired Dormant Member

Average price down these "neck of the woods" is £50 to £80. The gearbox is usually the big let down I have found, if it has no backlash you may get near a £100 in good condition with all of its covers and an original S meter. A real bonus would be the original wooden tuning wands for alignment usually clipped inside.

Mike
Old 16th Nov 2012, 11:24 pm   #7
Station X

No one on here is going to even think about buying this until they've seen pictures of it inside and out and under the chassis.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 17th Nov 2012, 12:04 am   #8
turretslug
Dekatron

Bogginton, very difficult to judge without those pictures but I'm with MichaelR here- probably for a couple of decades now, the price for an "average" example has hovered around £50- £80 but really good cosmetic condition would score points here. I, and many others here, would worry about the "partway" aspect of this one - again, pictures speak many words!

It's true that it's a fine bit of technology of the time and a piece of history- but it's also true that there are still lots around and, as you have no doubt found, it's not the easiest thing to accomodate in the average domestic setting, restricting its appeal,

Colin.

Last edited by turretslug; 17th Nov 2012 at 12:09 am.
Old 17th Nov 2012, 9:40 am   #9
davidw
Heptode

Boggington,as others have said £50-80 seems nearer the mark.
Just to give you an idea there has been an AR88D on ebay for some time now; started at £150 and got no bids,and is currently relisted at £100 still no bids. This one looks in good condition and is claimed to be working.

As someone has already started restoring yours and you say "spares or repair" it warrants more information and some pictures. you certainly won't get any firm interest without.

Sorry if it all seems negative.
Old 17th Nov 2012, 11:47 am   #10
Radio Wrangler

Just to set a datum I bought an AR88D this year.

The cabinet and panel are excellent, the gearbox has been apart and not put back together properly so there is a bit of up and down in the tuning knob. No oil leaks. Someone had it apart for cleaning and I think it had been on power recently. No changed capacitors, AND a full set of tuning tools (SRBC, not wood, I think).

There's nothing in the gearbox that worries me, but I got it for spares so I can get my very early AR88 up to 100% condition. The very early gearbox is a much better design, by the way.

And the datum? I paid the asked £50 without a haggle. It seemed fair to me.

David
Old 17th Nov 2012, 12:09 pm   #11
QQVO6/40
Hexode

Just want to throw in my two bobs worth. I don't want to upset anyone but about a month ago I was given an AR88LF for free. Just had to pick it up. That is a story in itself. Hihi. In fair condition, last used about 5 years ago, complete with all covers, case and tuning tools. Granted that was here in Australia and a long way from you.
It seems as if there is not a lot of people here that are prepared to put in the miles to do a good job of reconditioning these fine beasts. Most just want to buy the proverbial "black box", plug it in and away they go. In my eyes, so boring.
I agree with the other members of the Forum that you should not get your hopes up of too high a price for your AR88. Better off to get into it and restore it and learn heaps along the way. Lots of lovely people here very willing to help you.
Robert.
Old 9th Jul 2013, 9:25 pm   #12
AC/HL
Dekatron

The OP posted this in a new thread, which I accidentally deleted trying to merge it

Hi everybody
just to say thanks
my AR88 is now sold to a BVWS member
cheers boggington
Closed Thread