UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Oct 2005, 3:56 pm   #1
mikelect
Retired Dormant Member

Default Anodising 'speaker grilles.

I have a couple of radios with anodised aluminium speaker grilles that seem to have lost the finish in places. Has anyone any idea if they could be re-anodised? I've seen mention of it somewhere but no details on what would be involved.

Mike

Last edited by Darren-UK; 21st Aug 2007 at 10:15 pm. Reason: Excessive use of emoticons.
Old 9th Oct 2005, 4:19 pm   #2
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Default Re: Anodising

Hi Mike,

Not sure what colour your after but I recently sprayed a gold metal grill, from a Bush radio, with Plasticote Brass and the result was superb.

It's also worth checking that your grill is actually anodized in the first place, wipe a discrete area with acetone and see if it comes off

Regards
David
Old 9th Oct 2005, 5:44 pm   #3
mikelect
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Dave. The actual colour I need is silver and I agree there are some very good metallic paint finishes available, but I was interested in anodising as the finish would be more authentic. I'll probably end up spraying them anyway!

Mike

Last edited by Darren-UK; 21st Aug 2007 at 10:17 pm. Reason: Excessive use of emoticons.
Old 9th Oct 2005, 7:03 pm   #4
Kat Manton
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,

To restore an anodised finish, you'd need to electrically remove the remains of the anodising first, polish the item, then re-anodise it. Frost - http://www.frost.co.uk/ do an anodising stripping kit (£89), and an anodising kit (£100) - all a bit on the pricey side but it's possible to do it. Probably only worthwhile if you know you'll be anodising a significant quantity of aluminium. Remember that the prices I've quoted may not remain current for too long!

Yet more potentially useful stuff from the classic car world

Regards, Kat

Last edited by Darren-UK; 21st Aug 2007 at 10:13 pm. Reason: Defunct link removed.
Old 9th Oct 2005, 8:19 pm   #5
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Is there a local plating/anodising firm that could do it for you. If you're paying cash and aren't in a great hurry it probably won't be very expensive!

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Closed Thread