UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Dec 2017, 6:54 pm   #1
RojDW48
Nonode

Default Early HMV multi-speed player HMV 2001

Just when you think you've seen it all, someone comes along with one of these! Valve line up is U78 (rectifier), N78 and DH77 - 2 stage single ended amp? The miniature deck has no ident but from the big idler wheel I suspect Collaro - or maybe Plessey? Love the little turret arrangement for speed changing! That's a cartridge I have never seen before too - sorry about the poor pic. It must be post 1952 as HMV describe themselves as purveyors of gramophones etc to the late King George VI. There's an informative label but no model/type number that I can make out in order to get the service data.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1230687.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	154458   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1230688.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	154459   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1230690.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	154460   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1230689.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	154461  
Old 26th Dec 2017, 7:16 pm   #2
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: Early HMV multi-speed player - model for service data?

Head shell aside, it looks similar to this one:

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/hismasters_2001.html

Lawrence.
Old 26th Dec 2017, 8:08 pm   #3
Audio1950
Dekatron

The deck is a Plessey, made for HMV, and the original "Double C" cartridge has been replaced with the standard conversion kit, which comprised a headshell and the ER "Power Point" stylus and cartridge combined. (the stylus cannot be replaced, only the complete cartridge). Whether or not that cartridge is still there, I can't see.
Old 26th Dec 2017, 8:34 pm   #4
RojDW48
Nonode

Thanks Lawrence and Barry - that's the one. I don't have the space age double C cartridge but the ER Power point is making every effort to reproduce despite the wobbly deck! I warmed it up with a variac and it's very promising....so far. Lots of service data downloaded. Interesting cosmetic touch with the mains cable - 3 wires linked side to side - all the same colour! I might change that.
Old 26th Dec 2017, 8:38 pm   #5
Nuvistor
Dekatron

USA advert for the Power Point.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AA68E2C9-A3FA-4806-8027-5CD40ADDB8F3.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	154462  
Old 26th Dec 2017, 10:02 pm   #6
RojDW48
Nonode

So that's EV - for ElectroVoice? I have heard of them but never seen one before - American? What was the reason for the 'standard conversion', Barry? I can see the tonearm rest has been moved. What a nice set of service info - nice big circuit diagram with all the values on it and an explanation of the circuit.
Old 26th Dec 2017, 10:08 pm   #7
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

A good sounding player, especially with that well built amp and large elliptical speaker. The limiting factor is the deck and its cartridge. Even if restored, this can only ever be used for Mono LPs. Although it would compromise originality, a Garrard 4SP or, better still, a Collaro AC354 (lightweight tone arm) single player would fit into this rather nicely.
Old 27th Dec 2017, 12:11 am   #8
Audio1950
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by RojDW48 View Post
What was the reason for the 'standard conversion', Barry?
Simply because the "Double C" cartridge became obsolete. I don't know exactly when that was, but when I was selling record players in 1967, it had been obsolete for some time. The conversion kit could be obtained for the princely sum of 36 shillings, (about £1.80). Amazingly, the styli for both the "Double C" and the EV Power Point are still available. Yes, EV does stand for Electro-Voice, by the way.
Old 27th Dec 2017, 1:20 am   #9
RojDW48
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
The limiting factor is the deck and its cartridge. Even if restored, this can only ever be used for Mono LPs. Although it would compromise originality, a Garrard 4SP or, better still, a Collaro AC354 (lightweight tone arm) single player would fit into this rather nicely.
It's tempting, Edward and the sort of thing I have done before to good effect, but I would lose a little bit of sophistication I haven't seen before viz, the speed switch on the deck incorporates equalization circuitry for the different speeds! So I shall give it a service and see what transpires - at the moment it all wobbles in a slightly alarming manner. The tonearm, however, seems to be quite nice. Mono is OK with me - I have plenty of examples and 78s play nicely, at least on first acquaintance.

Thanks for the clarification, Barry.
Old 27th Dec 2017, 10:22 am   #10
Bookman
Hexode

Default Re: Early HMV multi-speed player HMV 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by RojDW48 View Post
There's an informative label but no model/type number that I can make out in order to get the service data.
I find the labelling used to provide frequency range interesting. Never have I seen a sine wave used instead of the "cycles" in CPS before?

Last edited by Bookman; 27th Dec 2017 at 10:24 am. Reason: spelling error
Old 27th Dec 2017, 10:29 am   #11
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Recognise the valve screening can from the HMV 1807 TV, dont remember the record player though.

Peter
Old 27th Dec 2017, 2:10 pm   #12
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

This was made in 1952 and a year later there was an automatic version using that quirky Plessey/EMI 3 speed autochanger using the same chassis and speaker.
Old 27th Dec 2017, 3:33 pm   #13
Chiltern
Heptode

The 2001 also available in a different finish (this one also has the Powerpoint conversion). An artist impression used on the Columbia 78 sleeve of the time.

Alan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ASIDSCN2654.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	154511   Click image for larger version

Name:	ASIDSCN5903.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	154512  
Old 27th Dec 2017, 7:52 pm   #14
RojDW48
Nonode

Thanks - now I know what's missing in the left hand front corner - the 'juke box' centre.

It was something of cultural cliche, that image of teenagers clustering round the RP with their records scattered carelessly all over the floor wasn't it? I am sure I never did that - they were far too expensive in relation to what I earned in those days!
Old 9th Jan 2018, 8:27 pm   #15
RojDW48
Nonode

It was all going so well...! I replaced all the worn out caps and it was playing really well. I switched to 78 (which it had accomplished before with no problem) and it went dead! I removed the headshell but, even having seen what's inside, I am not much clearer about how it is supposed to switch over (!). All the details I have refer to the Double C cartridge, but this one has the Electrovoice replacement. Can anyone tell me what is supposed to happen? The LP side is still fine - I can hear it switch in as I flip the cartridge.
Old 10th Jan 2018, 9:47 am   #16
Chiltern
Heptode

The Powerpoint cart simply rotates, perhaps the wiring is suspect. As it has worked before you must have the double sided cartridge, there are single side versions available as well.

With the change to 78, presumably the speed mechanism has also been moved to 78, it also alters the loading for the cartridge, see if you get an output from the cart with the speed set back to 34 or 45. Problem could be here.

Alan
Old 10th Jan 2018, 10:16 pm   #17
RojDW48
Nonode

Thanks Alan - once I had put on my most magnifying specs I was able to see how it operates and determine the pole wire was floating about, connecting when switched to LP but not (lately) when switched to 78 - fine now. It is a very nice player. Do you know if there was ever a powerpoint cartridge with a stereo compatible stylus? Faint chance I suspect.
Old 10th Jan 2018, 11:19 pm   #18
Audio1950
Dekatron

No, Roger, the Powerpoint was strictly mono only, but it was available in at least two different colours, blue and red. Can't remember what the difference was, but as it was a cartridge, they may have been different outputs?

Barry
Old 11th Jan 2018, 1:14 am   #19
RojDW48
Nonode

Thanks Barry - I feared as much. Never mind - I have lots of mono LPs and 78s. Mine is a red cartridge. Alan writes there were single sided versions of the powerpoint - maybe they were blue - even another colour for 78 only and another yet for LP only?

Another issue - the motor is slow to get going. The obvious solution is to strip it down, clean and re-lubricate. Any advice on that?
Old 11th Jan 2018, 3:55 pm   #20
Chiltern
Heptode

Here's a blue one, this one even says stereo LP and diamond, however I do not see that there would be any vertical compliance with this design so this claim might be in error.

Alan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN8201.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	155309   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN8199.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	155310  
Closed Thread