UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Dec 2017, 9:59 pm   #1
glennbondharper
Retired Dormant Member

Default Sharp VZ-3000 Switches etc

Hi all, I'm Glenn and new to the forum but I'm glad I've found you and maybe you could be helpful in giving me a few pointers regarding the repair of a recently acquired VZ-3000. First thing to say is that most of it seems to work barring the turntable and sure enough when I took the back off there were bits of wet belt in 1" bits everywhere. There were no lights or anything on turntable side so I ordered 2 belts as the top smaller square one had no tension and managed to fit them but still no life. Earlier I'd found a bit of black plastic which tonight I found is from the black gear pulley it appears to been broken off or dislodged so I need a new switch to replace it at least. There was a little bit of life on the repeat function and play both sides as the lights were working but now seem to have stopped so that may well be a further problem for the future.

Any help much appreciated to get this beast up and running again!!!
Old 18th Dec 2017, 10:30 pm   #2
nigelr2000
Heptode

Default Re: Sharp VZ-3000 Switches etc

Super complex machine for its time and yes the switches are really fragile. I have done lots of these even when they were quite new. I have managed to replace them with lever microswitches on one machine but it was a bit of a faff to do so now I source switches from old players the whole range of VZ's use them so they aren't all that rare and non workers don't fetch much

Service manual is available here;-

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_li.../vz-3000.shtml.

Read it and it will all will make sense

If you need anymore help just ask. I have bits of an old deck lying around but I think the black pulley's missing, will look in the morning
Old 28th Dec 2017, 12:18 pm   #3
BillyTheKid
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Glen,

Can you drop a photo of the switch?

I have a box of crap that I took out of my scrap vz 3000 and 3500 so may have this.
Old 29th Dec 2017, 2:55 pm   #4
glennbondharper
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the info will take photo of switch ,have ordered something which looks kind of similar but will see when it arrives. The lights on the front of the record part lit up for a short while giving me some hope but they don't work again now and voltage on bottom fuse of 4 was zero both sides.

Any ideas for repair of the drop down door below cassette with controls inside .On the rear side the plastic is broken/missing so unsure how exactly it worked
Old 30th Dec 2017, 8:00 pm   #5
glennbondharper
Retired Dormant Member

Photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2593-002.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	154735  
Old 6th Jan 2018, 5:52 pm   #6
glennbondharper
Retired Dormant Member

Well I'm getting somewhere. Replaced the switch which turned out to be the tonearm control switch. Got it wrong first time as it should be normally open.

Now I need a light for the A side on the front panel which is soldered and a diode, would that be its name?
Old 17th Jan 2018, 4:18 pm   #7
glennbondharper
Retired Dormant Member

Found a replacement for the light and it's now fitted turned out to be a filament bulb and available from CPC
Old 17th Jan 2018, 4:21 pm   #8
glennbondharper
Retired Dormant Member

Good news its working pretty well now just need to fix the selector switches as no left channel on the Phono. Any ideas where to source or can they be cleaned??
Closed Thread