UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 16th Oct 2020, 2:05 pm   #21
Refugee
Dekatron

Default Re: Restuffing Dual Electrolytic Can Capacitor

That radio has got electric teeth with those HT terminals top side.
Old 16th Oct 2020, 2:22 pm   #22
telstar
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldStott View Post
Thanks to UB and Mike for your responses - I was becoming a bit concerned about the lack of feedback.

@Uncle Bulgaria - I had contemplated using the technique you suggest but felt that my dowel approach gave me greater control and didn't leave me with an annoying hole in the middle. At all times I"m eager to stress that I'm not putting forward the methods I used as 'best practice' in any way! I'm simply describing the approach I took to the challenges of restuffing a dual electrolytic can capacitor.

@telstar - I've now replaced the smoothing and reservoir capacitors in several valve radios and 1960's record turntables. On most occasions it's been possible to connect the replacements to a new tag strip mounted under the chassis and out of sight - often leaving the original can in place. This time round I thought I'd have a go at restuffing as I had a spare can from another set and, partly, to see see how difficult it could be? In addition the Bush DAC10 has the large tuning unit under the chassis so not much space there!

The 450V replacement caps I used were Rubycon Electrolytic Capacitor, Miniatures from Farnell as recommended by Forum member David G4EBT. Three of these will fit inside a standard Bush can although only two were required for the current restuffing - see the next Stage coming up soon!
Hi Good to hear that you have some results. I have another similar project with the Alba 461 radio (3 capacitors in one can, where only the reservoir capacitor does not measure leaky)
Cheers
Mike
Old 16th Oct 2020, 4:30 pm   #23
DonaldStott
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee View Post
That radio has got electric teeth with those HT terminals top side.
Agreed, but that's the original design for the Bush DAC10 - HT terminals top side!

Quote:
Originally Posted by telstar View Post
Hi Good to hear that you have some results. I have another similar project with the Alba 461 radio (3 capacitors in one can, where only the reservoir capacitor does not measure leaky)
Cheers
Mike
Thanks Mike - hopefully my fumblings will encourage others to tackle this lengthy but relatively straightforward procedure?

Let me know if you decide to restuff the can in your Alba 461 - happy to answer any questions.
Old 16th Oct 2020, 6:53 pm   #24
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

A very neat job and a detailed write-up, Donald.

All in all a useful resource in case anyone is working this out from first principles, and with limited tools.

Good luck with the next stage of your restoration.
Old 18th Oct 2020, 6:59 pm   #25
DonaldStott
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by astral highway View Post
A very neat job and a detailed write-up, Donald.

All in all a useful resource in case anyone is working this out from first principles, and with limited tools.

Good luck with the next stage of your restoration.
Thanks Al - for those still interested, the adventure continues from Post#24 here More BUSH DAC10 Woes!