UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Dec 2014, 12:27 pm   #21
camtechman
Nonode

Default Re: Burglar Alarm

Found it, here's the link to the machine and the audio clip:
http://lates.sciencemuseum.org.uk/im.../10212088.aspx
Attached Files
File Type: zip Copy of Police Police Police.zip (306.6 KB, 155 views)
Old 15th Jun 2016, 9:29 pm   #22
Gazmac72
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maurice View Post
I've heard but never physically seen one that the earliest burglar alarm system consisted of a gramophone that played a specially made record to play down a telephone line to the Police Station.
Does anyone know of or have such a system?
Hi Michael

Just come across your quote.

I came across said speech dialler back in 1998 whilst working on a domestic alarm in Whetstone.
The date on the record was 1974, and when played through a gramophone is played a message " Police Scotland Yard Police Scotland Yard Whetstone 4##2
The recording is in Chumley Warner style queens English.

Fascinating piece of equipment which I once took to my supplier to take a look at it. Got a lot of interest. Really don't know what to do with it, I've had it in my workshop ever since.

Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141116_162006.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	126115  
Old 21st Jun 2016, 12:56 am   #23
Vakito227
Hexode

I remember seeing one of these being shown on 'Britain On Film' from the 60s https://youtu.be/6z9W9tgcjy4?t=8m18s
Old 22nd Jun 2016, 8:01 am   #24
trsomian
Hexode

I remember in the 1980s a man I used to work with had the remains of several of these machines under his bench. He had worked for AFA in the 1960s in Leeds, Bradford, and surrounding areas, mainly serving the banking community I believe. I don't remember much about them, except that there was a large toothed wheel under the platter somewhere with 3 lots of 9 notches or teeth, which worked a contact to dial 999. The whole lot was driven by a fairly early brushless DC motor, with a circuit board & 4 germanium transistors (AC153K I think) screwed to the side of the motor. I still have one of the motors in the loft. He called them 999 units.
Closed Thread