UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jun 2016, 3:00 pm   #1
daisyclayton
Retired Dormant Member

Default Belling 47A Electric Cooker.

Hi - we have just bought and installed a Belling 47A electric cooker. We have a wire that comes from the grill area under the top that is cut. We wondered what it was for as everything seems to work. Photo attached.

Does anyone know what it is for?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160625_144949_01.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	126581   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160625_145008.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	126582  
Old 25th Jun 2016, 6:23 pm   #2
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: Belling 47A Electric Cooker.

Are you sure that is a wire? Looks like a cord handle of some sort. J.
Old 25th Jun 2016, 7:44 pm   #3
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Could it be asbestos rope insulation to seal a gap somewhere. I remember our very old creda cooker had a string like material that looks remarkably similar which was a seal to join 2 parts together to keep the heat in.
Christopher Capener
Old 25th Jun 2016, 8:35 pm   #4

A rather splendid cooker, where is this 'wire' situated, more photos please. I had a New World (I think) "Radiation" (named before radiation was dangerous I guess) gas cooker years ago, built like a tank and worked very well indeed.

Old 25th Jun 2016, 8:56 pm   #5
julie_m
Dekatron

It's not obvious from the pictures; but if it is mounted at the top centre of the grill compartment, is it just acting as a shock absorber for the door?

If it is asbestos, then it probably should be left alone -- and the grill door closed very gently indeed! -- until a safe alternative can be found to replace it.

There isn't really a lot that can go wrong with these old electric stoves, and they were built to be field-maintainable. I'm surprised we don't see more of them, really; but perhaps it's easier to be brutal with an appliance you have spent every day slaving over .....
Old 27th Jun 2016, 12:49 pm   #6
Brigham
Octode

A good choice. These were the best-sellers of the day, hundreds of thousands being sold throughout the world.
47A is the same as the famous 47AB, except without the glass inner oven door. Yours appears to have the 8" radiant boiling-plate and optional storage drawer.
Is the roasting hook for joints and turkeys still present? There's a publicity pic. showing a 32lb. dead bird being roasted in a 47-series oven. That's with the shelves out, naturally.
The whole oven liner slides out for cleaning, and the boiling plates lift off.
In all, another example of Belling good design.
Closed Thread