UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 30th May 2016, 9:53 am   #1
Tucker16
Diode

Default Bakelite Smiths Sectric Clock

I hope someone on here can help me and please excuse the lack of technical language. I have an old brown (wood effect?) Bakelite Smiths Sectric kitchen clock (round face, Arabic numerals, red second hand) but it's in poor condition. The Bakelite has been broken at the bottom by the hand adjuster (some little pieces missing on the rim) and there is staining/foxing on the clock face. The electric wires have been snipped at about 2" from the works so I don't even know if it goes. Is there any point trying to restore this? Would anyone here be interested? I don't want to keep it but I don't want to just throw it away. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
Old 30th May 2016, 4:33 pm   #2
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default Re: Bakelite Smiths Sectric Clock

Whatever you do, don't throw it away. These clocks are worth money, working or not. It's probably a Smiths Bijou movement (qv posts on here or Google).

It's well worth restoring:
The bakelite case can be restored.
The movement will need dismantling and cleaning.
The only electrics will be the stator coil for the motor. If it's been stuck in a shed for years that will probably need rewinding - there are a few people on here who can do that.

You will end up with a usable clock which will keep excellent time.
Old 31st May 2016, 9:09 am   #3
Tucker16
Diode

Thanks for replying. As I said, I don't want it (sorry, it's not our style!), so should I sell it as a doer-upper? I'd rather it went to a home where it would be cared for.

As far as I know, it was stored in a spare room before I got it - I stopped my friend throwing it out - and it's been inside with us, so there should be no damp.

Here it is, in all its glory. Note the large crack from back to front...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160531_090203.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	125320   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160531_090220.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	125321   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160531_090232.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	125322  
Old 31st May 2016, 10:18 am   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Hello and welcome.

As Mike says, this has the "Bijou" movement, and is probably from the late 1950s at a guess, judging by the style of the face and hands. Slightly later, and it would have had one of the less long-lived, more plasticy movements which tend to self-destruct.

The Bakelite case is badly damaged, but the big bit has been saved which is a bonus.

I would love to give this a new home if you'd like to pass it on. I restore old electric clocks for fun and have an ever changing selection of them in use in my house.

Please send me a private message if that's a possibility: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...o=newpm&u=1398

Nick.
Old 17th Jun 2016, 12:44 pm   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Liz kindly accepted a small donation for the clock, and posted it to me. Her packing was superb, and it arrived in three pieces, as it had started its journey!

I don't need another clock, but it's nice to know another's been saved, and will keep me out of mischief for a few evenings, I'm sure. It will make a good timepiece for my workshop.

A Success Story to follow, I hope, but this thread can probably be closed now.

N.
Closed Thread