UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Jun 2016, 11:23 pm   #1
Supermatic-61
Diode

Default Vintage Washing Machines 50's/60's

Dear all,

I have just joined this site today and it looks like a great source of information etc from fellow enthusiast's and alike.

This maybe a little off track, but here goes. I am 40 year old guy who has been interested in domestic washing machines for best part of the last 35 years, I collect them, restore them & am totally passionate about them!! I have a collection of about 20 or so.

What I am trying to find, and have been for the last 10 years, is any Servis top loading automatic washing machines from the the 60's like the "all fabric automatic" or literature or even any ex-Servis engineers.

I have attached a pic of the 1st automatic Servis launched in 1963 the MK22 and then the later auto MK41 in 1966.

I would love to hear from anyone with any knowledge, machines or any 60's washers in general twin tubs, single tubs etc.

Many thanks Keith
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	125909   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	377
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	125910  
Old 12th Jun 2016, 8:12 am   #2
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Default Re: Vintage Washing Machines 50's/60's

There were quite a few including the chap that made the 'pile it high, sell it cheap' model, can't remember his name.

That one is modern compared with our first one, it was a Hoover with a wringer on the top.

Peter
Old 12th Jun 2016, 8:31 am   #3
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Ah, the Rolls Supertwin, fond memories. Bolting automatics down with rag bolts, happy days.
Old 12th Jun 2016, 9:30 am   #4
slidertogrid
Octode

My parents bought a Servis washing machine in 1960 the year before I was born.
It had a mangle that stowed in the bottom that slotted in the top for use and was engaged by a chrome lever. There was two levers side by side. I think the other was for the agitator.
That machine was still going 25 years later when they moved to another house in 1985. Mum Left it behind because the new house only had a provision for an automatic under the worktop.
The Servis spin drier that was also bought in the 60's was kept in the garage of the new house and used occasionally right up to about 8 years ago when it finally expired in a shower of sparks from underneath.
I felt a sense of regret when it went to the scrap man. I remember when it was a tall as I was!
They don't make stuff like that anymore!
Old 12th Jun 2016, 11:26 am   #5
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidertogrid View Post
They do, sort of. But it costs as much in real terms as the old stuff did, unlike the modern pared to the bone cost wise kit.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 12th Jun 2016, 11:49 am   #6
Nicklyons2
Octode

Was it John Bloom who ran the Rolls washer business? I seem to remember he looked a bit like the actor Colin Jeavons.

The neighbours of my childhood had Hotpoint top loaders ("Empress"?). It had a fabulous chrome lever on the front which had the appearance of something which would launch a ballistic missile. It survived into the '90s.

My mother never trusting of anything complex, (more to go wrong) was wedded to a little square Hoover with the hinge up manual wringers. Another neighbour had a similar type but with GD (gravity drain); it emptied into a washing up bowl on the floor; Mum had the de-luxe version with a pump. This de-luxe feature was not without peril however; the little bakelite wheel which formed the agitator ran continuously in all functions and, when pumping out, the water level dropped to reveal the wheel, the remaining water could be hurled into the air in a manner not dis-similar to Geneva's Jet d'eau - best to keep the lid on when emptying !

Auntie Rhoda had the mega de-luxe version with power ringers and pump; this had a large red bakelite "STOP" button on the front.
Old 12th Jun 2016, 11:57 am   #7
AC/HL
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidertogrid View Post
Speaking as the Family's "washerperson" I'm thankful for small mercies.
Old 12th Jun 2016, 1:19 pm   #8
Refugee
Dekatron

When I was young my parents bought a Bendix LT drier. It was a huge machine and if it span off balance it walked. You could always tell when it was about to walk because the soap dispenser lid used to fly open.
It lasted until the mid 1980s.
Old 12th Jun 2016, 2:36 pm   #9
camtechman
Nonode

Quote:
There were quite a few including the chap that made the 'pile it high, sell it cheap' model, can't remember his name.
Yep John Bloom and his Rolls washing machines, my late Aunt bought one (a front loader with a stainless steel drum) but after 18 months it wouldn't empty pump out water, so, like a keen, budding engineer I said I could fix it.........no chance !!

It wasn't meant to be opened the whole machine was spot welded together. His method of manufacture and selling was similar to Clive Sinclair's ethos !
Old 12th Jun 2016, 2:58 pm   #10
TonyDuell
Dekatron

My late parents bought a Bendix Triomatic (DRS) washer/dryer shortly after they were married, so early 1960s.

It carried on in use until the mid 1990s. I did replace most of the rubber parts for them over the years (hoses, seals, etc). And I think I had to replace the drum bearings once too.

Very solidly made (of course). A big capacitor start motor at the bottom with a 2 speed gearbox (and a solenoid to change gear) to get wash and spin speeds. Drain pump (and solenoid valve) on the front of the motor. Mechanical cam timer/programmer. It had no suspension on the drum, it had to be bolted to the floor or (like the LT mentioned a couple of posts above, which IIRC was a larger machine) it would walk around.

It was replaced by an expensive (over £1000) electronically controlled machine about 20 years ago. That machine has already needed a new set of motor brushes and 4 new motor control boards (the custom chip is what fails, I obviously checked the obvious things like the relays and the triac). So much for progress.

After my parents passed away and I had to move house, I brought the old Bendix with me. Still sitting in the garage. I am not sure why I want it, but I guess I have many happy memories of my father and I repairing it.
Old 12th Jun 2016, 11:31 pm   #11
1100 man
Octode

Sometime around the time I was born (1967), my parents bought a Parnell top loading manual washing machine. There is a picture of me as a baby looking very mean lying on top of it. When I was a bit older, I remember Dad and I had to repair it regularly. I seem to remember it had some sort of rubber idler which drove the pump which was always giving problems.
It soldiered on until the early '80's when it was replaced with an automatic Bendix. This had no speed control or clutch, so when it went into spin with a drum of wet washing, the drum stayed still and the machine rotated This did nothing for its reliability and bits often used to get torn off inside so it required even more repairs then the Parnell It regularly used to pulverise the mains plug and socket down next to the machine until it got moved further up the wall !
I had the fun of dismantling the parnell which had a massive, oil filled gearbox and a 1/2 horse cap start motor. I used the case ( which was 18 gauge steel) to build the chassis and case for the oscilloscope I built from the BB Babani 'Build your own oscilloscope' book. It was all cut using a hacksaw and painted with blue paint!! I guess I was about 13 at the time but still have the book on my bookshelf
Cheers Nick
Old 13th Jun 2016, 6:49 am   #12
regentone001
Heptode

Hi
The first automatic washing machine we had came from one of my grandfather's launderettes. It was a Bendix and had to be bolted to the kitchen floor,it was one of the old ones which was being replaced when one of the launderettes was being refurbished. Occassionally it would come loose and start to jig around the kitchen at which point the dog would hide under the kitchen table. I don't know the model number but it had a thumb wheel type programmer at the rear top of the machine, There was a small flap on top for the soap which was put in when the red light on the front lit up and the door was closed by a screw threaded knob. I don't remember what happened to it,it may have been left there when we moved into a masonette,when I was 9, over one of grand dad's launderettes. I do know that it sent out some sparks one time which set fire to one of the kitchen curtains and my youngest brother got into trouble for shouting,just like my mother "Alan Alan come quick the kitchen is on fire" Alan being my dad.Fortunately not a lot of damage was done
Steve
Old 13th Jun 2016, 9:33 am   #13
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Yes John Bloom, that was the chap.

We had one of those bolt down Bendix machines which superseded our Hoover with the wringer, I thought it was a brilliant machine, bought it cheap from a neighbour, so simple, very little to go wrong and it never did while we had it, in fact we brought it down to Dorset with us in 1970 and I sold it to one of my customers who used it for some time.

Peter

Peter
Old 13th Jun 2016, 10:02 am   #14
Station X

My parents' first washing machine was a Parkinson Cowan. It had a fold down wringer in the lid with, I think, a detachable winding handle. It was heated by gas just like the old copper it replaced. There was no agitator, just a pump which pumped water from the bottom of the tub to the top, or by operating a valve it could be made to pump out the water. I don't think it had any electrical controls, you plugged in and unplugged the mains plug to start and start the pump.

It was replaced with a Hoover Keymatic and I can remember sitting with my eyes glued to it, fascinated by its operation.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 14th Jun 2016, 1:11 pm   #15
Brigham
Octode

John Bloom bought the Rolls Razor Co., just for the name.

Last edited by AC/HL; 14th Jun 2016 at 2:42 pm. Reason: Off topic aside deleted
Old 14th Jun 2016, 10:39 pm   #16
kirstyd
Heptode

the parnall wringer washer brings back lots of memories for me .the smell of washing powder [usually ACTO]mixed with the smell of oil and that strangely comforting thud thud as the agitator went back and forth and that rather nice chrome drain pipe that swung over the sink for emptying .That machine shared the only socket in the house with the frigidaire fridge so when the washer was in use the fridge was unplugged .The phrase built to last comes into its own where this washer is concerned it was bought in 1956 and was taken out of use in 1991 even though it was still working it didnt fit into mums new fitted kitchen
Closed Thread