UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jul 2015, 11:55 am   #1
beltinge bore
Pentode

Default Pageant/Defiant 17"

Hello
I was lucky enough to find this in Whitstable 3 miles away.
The seller told me that it had been found in a house clearance in the North East (sorry David).
Lovely cabinet - good thick layer of dry dust. Speaker and baffle missing (60's car radio use I suspect).
I snipped the mains filter etc and powered up slowly. Heaters came up sound rustle at about 150v, tuned to CH1 and the Aurora tone came through followed by good healthy sounding variable line whistle. So far so good!
Unfortunately at about 200v blue fireworks appeared in the neck of the tube! On further inspection the only signs of corrosion in the entire set are thick white deposits on the tube base pins. Sadly it's ride south in the back of a Transit seems to have put the tube down to air!
It has a Mazda CME 1702 fitted (electrostatic focus). Quite hard to find I imagine.
It's a nice well built late Plessey chassis so I would like to save it if possible.
Thanks & Regards Steve.
Old 9th Jul 2015, 12:24 pm   #2
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default Re: Pageant/Defiant 17"

Hi Steve, The Mazda CME1702 is quite rare but the Mullard AW43-80 is much more common. The two tubes are very similar except the Mazda has a straight gun assembly and does not require an ion trap magnet. The Mullard tube does need an ion trap. The Mazda has a 12.6 volt heater and in the Mullard one it is 6.3 volts.
Another CR tube that was fitted in these sets was the Mazda CRM173, if you find this tube a focus magnet will be needed.
Here in the North-East in the early sixties we used to see Pageant TVs quite often.

DFWB.
Old 9th Jul 2015, 4:41 pm   #3
beltinge bore
Pentode

Default Re: Pageant/Defiant 17"

Thanks David - Every little bit of information is much appreciated.

Regards Steve
Closed Thread