UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Oct 2005, 6:48 pm   #1
brunel
Heptode

Default Bush TR82 (etc); cabinet damage repairs.

Just acquired one from boot sale,it has been dropped and the chassis fixing clips have broken away from the cabinet.

The plastic mounts are broken.

Does anyone have a preferred method of repairing this damage?

Regards

brunel
Old 24th Oct 2005, 12:23 am   #2
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Bush TR82C

Choices are building up the damaged bits of the cabinet with Milliput, or by the use of Araldite or similar epoxy. The method you choose would hinge very much upon the amount of damage to the plastic areas into which the metal clips bite. On one very bad case I had to repair, I had little choice but to fix the clips permanently in place with copious quantities of Araldite Rapid. All very ugly from the inside but, of course, invisible from the outside.

This problem is common on all this series of radios and is not helped by design; the metal clips biting into the plastic tending to cause weak spots.

If you still have all the broken bits of the chassis mounts (they often end up just rattling around inside the cabinet), it is possible to 'reassemble' them using solvent cement or even by using certain types of paintbrush cleaner as a cement.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 23rd Aug 2007 at 11:19 am. Reason: Eliminated ref to another, now defunct, thread.
Old 24th Oct 2005, 12:50 am   #3
brunel
Heptode

Thanks,

The Araldite method sounds the easiest, probably because I have a few tubes in stock.

I also have some Loctite Repair Express, a chemical putty.

It states it is not suitable for oily plastics eg: polyethylene, ptfe etc.

Will try both and post back some results

brunel

Last edited by Darren-UK; 23rd Aug 2007 at 11:26 am. Reason: Eliminated ref to another, now defunct, thread.
Old 24th Oct 2005, 1:21 am   #4
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Yes, let us know the results. Although it's obvious, perhaps I should have added that it's wise to lay the chassis on its mounts to ensure the fixings are properly aligned just before the repair medium has set solid

Last edited by Darren-UK; 24th Oct 2005 at 1:24 am. Reason: Reworded.
Old 31st Oct 2005, 12:42 am   #5
brunel
Heptode

I found that the chemical putty was too thick to allow any adjustment.

I finally used some car body filler, Plastic Padding.

It is very runny when first mixed, allowing it to fill between the clip and the remains of the broken plastic, also allowing enough time to set the clip position.

It appears to bond well to the plastic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clip.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	1834  
Old 31st Oct 2005, 9:33 am   #6
joe
Rest in Peace

Although you have done it its worth remembering that the solvent adhesive used for fixing plastic drain pipes will "glue" plastics such as ABS.

I put glue in quotes because it effectively welds the plastic by dissolving it, evaporating, and leaving a solid piece of new plastic.

The best make seems to be Osma. I don't know what TR82s are made of, but if you get another with that problem its worth a try.

Joe
Old 31st Oct 2005, 11:35 am   #7
brunel
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe
Although you have done it its worth remembering that the solvent adhesive used for fixing plastic drain pipes will "glue" plastics such as ABS.

I put glue in quotes because it effectively welds the plastic by dissolving it, evaporating, and leaving a solid piece of new plastic.

The best make seems to be Osma. I don't know what TR82s are made of, but if you get another with that problem its worth a try.

Joe
I have repaired a crack in the cabinet by "welding" it, using Hammerite brush cleaner, which I believe is xylene.
Only apply it from the inside of the cabinet of course, as it dissoves the plastic instantly.
If any runs through, wait till it hardens , then polish over the crack using one of the supermarket brands of "cream cleaner".. the stuff with the chalk in.
Closed Thread