UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Aug 2008, 2:40 pm   #1
retroaudio
Pentode

Default GEC Superhet 5 1930s set

Hi,

I have one of these sets and I have always assumed the knobs were wrong although they fit the set well. The tuning knob is no bigger than the rest which is unusual but the collar of the knob fits neatly in terms of depth into the veneered ply case. Do the knobs vary on these sets depending upon date of manufacture because everything else on the set is original and I wondered why someone would change the knobs when the speaker cloth and dial all of which are more fragile would be more likely to age. The knobs are made of fluted brown bakelite and they taper slightly from the end inwards towards the collar. The easiest way to describe them is as being shaped like the conical paper cases people use to bake cakes in. Any thoughts on the matter

Alex.
Old 18th Aug 2008, 4:43 pm   #2
Ian B
Hexode

Default Re: GEC Superhet 5 1930s set

Any chance of a picture? It would be much easier to tell if they're right or wrong!
Knobs often get replaced because an original got lost or sometimes an impatient repairer would get around a seized grubscrew problem by sawing the knob off! And occasionally knobs deteriorate with age and start crumbling (nasty!).

Ian Blackbourn
Old 18th Aug 2008, 8:54 pm   #3
yestertech
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroaudio View Post
Hi,

The easiest way to describe them is as being shaped like the conical paper cases people use to bake cakes in.

Alex.
This descrition fits the common GEC knobs very well - they may of course be from another GEC set !
I have a pciture somewhere... Andy
Old 18th Aug 2008, 9:09 pm   #4
retroaudio
Pentode

I will try and take a couple of digital photos and post them on the forum

Alex
Old 19th Aug 2008, 10:39 pm   #5
yestertech
Nonode

Not sure if this shows enough detail ?? A.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC38.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	19277  
Old 21st Aug 2008, 10:22 am   #6
Rejectostat
Hexode

I have never seen the knobs used on the GEC AC38 (as shown in Andy's pic) fitted to a receiver made as early as 1933, which is when the Superhet 5 was manufactured.

There is a "brand new" Superhet 5 shown in the link below, and that page includes a close-up (though low resolution) picture of the knobs. I have seen one or two other examples of this receiver and I'm pretty sure they had the same knobs.

http://www.classicwireless.btinternet.co.uk/gecb.htm
Old 22nd Aug 2008, 10:08 am   #7
retroaudio
Pentode

Thanks for the photos.The knobs on my set are the same as those on the AC38 which is pictured which makes me wonder if they are wrong for the set. The rest of the set is in good order with the original finish, speaker cloth and the knob on the back to disconnect the speaker. Its usually sets that have had a hard life that lose bits and pieces. The other thing is these knobs dont have grub screw they have spring clips which is often a sign that they were intended for an AC/DC set. I am wondering if it is a simple explanation that someone has damaged the knobs and simply taken some from a later GEC set. I think the knobs on the new set look better, i must admit.

Alex
Closed Thread