UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Jul 2008, 7:49 pm   #1
telstar
Octode

Default Water damage to wood cabinets

Hi. I have recently had my garage revamped (new roof, etc), and I have found that two sets had suffered a bit of water leakage from the old roof. The Lissen 8039 T.R.F set was caught around the top where the decorative "Birds- eye" maple front ( slightly peeled away), and also the Braun RC61/99 suffered a bit of water staining on top of the cabinet. Are these easily repairable ?
Regards
Mike
Old 29th Jul 2008, 10:56 pm   #2
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Water damage to wood cabinets

Depends on your capabilities . The veneer should be glued back otherwise it will break off and things will get worse . .make sure there is no old glue and dirt behind the veneer .
Old 4th Aug 2008, 4:00 pm   #3
350i
Triode

The Lissen with the maple front sounds interesting. Any chance of a pic, I've just bought one of these sets?
Regards
Trevor
Old 4th Aug 2008, 6:19 pm   #4
Panrock
Nonode

After glueing back the veneer, it may be necessary to strip off the finish and wood-bleach it to get the water-staining out. Then tone and re-finish as necessary.

If you intend to go to all this trouble, it might be advisable to practise your skills on something easier first, unless you are already experienced with this sort of work.

You can see here what I did to tackle a television cabinet that was very severely water damaged. (The saga starts here.)

Steve
Old 13th Aug 2008, 12:50 pm   #5
telstar
Octode

Hi Everyone, I am on the forum to reply to threads (whilst at work). I will try and repair the front of the Lissen (I made a mistake with the effect on the front, its not maple - apologies). It is just an art deco effect. The other problem is the staining that the water did to the Braun 99 ukw set.
Many thanks
Closed Thread