UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Aug 2008, 11:01 am   #1
mark pirate
Dekatron

Default Woodworm killer

Hi all, i have a couple of sets in quarantine with woodworm, i need to treat these asap as i am sure one is 'live' can anyone recommend a good treatment?

Mark
Old 7th Aug 2008, 11:04 am   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Woodworm killer

Wickes DIY shops do an aerosol (red & white, I think) for about a fiver with a nice pointy-tipped applicator.

Because the appliactor makes a good seal and because the solution's under pressure, it's very effective at getting where it's needed. You'll have great fun squirting it in one hole and watching the solution erupt out of dozens of other distant ones, and seep from the edges of plywood, revealing the extent of the sub-surface damage

Do it in the garden, away from pets, wearing gloves if you can.

Homebase, B&Q etc. do something almost identical, but rather pricier.

Nick.
Old 7th Aug 2008, 11:14 am   #3
paulsherwin

I use Cuprinol Woodworm Killer as much as anything. Most DIY places seem to stock it.

I'm not a fan of the aerosols. The important thing with woodworm killer isn't to kill the wormies directly but to poison the wood. They then die as they chomp their way through it, and any new arrivals die too. To do this you need to flood the wood surface, making sure the liquid gets into all the joints and obviously down any flight holes. You can do this with the aerosols but it's expensive for no real benefit.

I've never had problems with live woodworm once a cabinet has been treated.

Paul
Old 7th Aug 2008, 12:17 pm   #4
John M0GLN
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
The important thing with woodworm killer isn't to kill the wormies directly but to poison the wood. They then die as they chomp their way through it, and any new arrivals die too. To do this you need to flood the wood surface
Rentokil do a beeswax polish which also protects from woodworm, this you could use after the initial treatment with the liquid.

John
Old 7th Aug 2008, 12:56 pm   #5
GMB
Dekatron

The non-chemical method is to deep-freeze the wood although it isn't clear how reliable this is. Several cycles of freezing and thawing may be best.
Old 7th Aug 2008, 4:53 pm   #6
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Although not generally a great fan of toxic chemicals, the advantage of wookworm killer is (as Paul says) that the wood becomes inedible for any survivors or future woodworm considering taking up residence.
Old 7th Aug 2008, 8:50 pm   #7
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

You will need to flood the inside and under surfaces a couple of times , flood it basically ! and try to get some into the holes from the external surfaces . It will useually work . ive only once had re occurence , but that time i used parafin. the more wormy the cabinet the more it will soak in , so there is some advantage to having more holes .
just let it soak in and flood it again .
(Happy Birthday)

Last edited by chipp1968; 7th Aug 2008 at 8:59 pm.
Old 9th Aug 2008, 9:21 pm   #8
mark pirate
Dekatron

Many thanks to all for the advice,
Quote:
Because the appliactor makes a good seal and because the solution's under pressure, it's very effective at getting where it's needed. You'll have great fun squirting it in one hole and watching the solution erupt out
This sounds a good idea for my philips set as it only has half a dozen holes
Quote:
I use Cuprinol Woodworm Killer as much as anything. Most DIY places seem to stock it.
Having used cuprinol products in the past, i trust the quality of them, so will
be going to wickes tomorrow to get some of this, (& some of the aerosol type) the second set i have has been well munched at its base, so a good soaking is called for in this case.
Quote:
The non-chemical method is to deep-freeze the wood although it isn't clear how reliable this is. Several cycles of freezing and thawing may be best.
Nice idea GMB, but if my missus found a radio in the deep freeze, i think it may be grounds for divorce

Mark
Closed Thread