UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Oct 2017, 6:26 pm   #1
chaveiro
Retired Dormant Member

Cool Salora chassis 1F schematics

I'm repairing a Salora 1F chassis TV from the 80s as an hobby and for sentimal reasons.
Anyone has access to the electronics schematic / service manual for this tv set?

I'm particulary looking for the schematics arround the TMS1100 MCU.
The TV works, but the digital control part is dead, no channel number on the 7segment display.

For reference, the chassis was also called 1F0C, more information i can be found here: http://obsoletetellyemuseum.blogspot...rnal-view.html

Any info is welcome, as not even the Salora official repair service in Finland has the service manual for this one anymore.
Old 11th Oct 2017, 7:01 pm   #2
yesnaby
Octode

Default Re: Salora chassis 1F schematics

I have one for the Salora 1C chassis but I fear it is totally different.
Old 11th Oct 2017, 8:01 pm   #3
nigelr2000
Heptode

Long time ago but didn't the eprom loose its contents and leave you with no display and controls doing odd functions you re-programmed it, could be a different chassis but the cpu sounds familiar. You had to use an original remote and short 2 pins on the remote chip to put it into program mode then insert certain patterns made up of the display segments turned on of off pressing number keys. Had to re-program the Granada ones as the program memory was locked on the first 6 channels and would re-tune to where they were when you powered it off.
Old 12th Oct 2017, 9:14 am   #4
ted_ntsx
Pentode

Ahh...
I remember reprogramming some of the Granada Salora sets.
It was against company rules but... some customers did not want the set to always start up on channel 3 (the ITV channel, what else!) and prefered it to start on channel 1. However, there were all sorts of codes you could program in if you knew the "secret" handset button sequences. Some of these would disable certain things (like turning off the colour decoder), and some could render the set inoperable!
Old 12th Oct 2017, 1:13 pm   #5
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

This from AvG's original "BZ" course notes!
I don't think it's the right Salora chassis for chaveiro, as it seems to use a different processor.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BZ enable word.pdf (1.26 MB, 91 views)
Old 12th Oct 2017, 1:25 pm   #6
chaveiro
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelr2000 View Post
Long time ago but didn't the eprom loose its contents and leave you with no display and controls doing odd functions you re-programmed it, could be a different chassis but the cpu sounds familiar. You had to use an original remote and short 2 pins on the remote chip to put it into program mode then insert certain patterns made up of the display segments turned on of off pressing number keys.
It might be the case here, it has 2x TMS3529NL NVRAM chips.
I do have the remote but it does nothing, opened it and no obvious shunt trace on the pcb to activate that service mode.
On the CPU board inside the TV there are 2 push buttons labeled P and M, i dont get any reaction pressing them either.
So without any further instructions i'm stuck...
Old 13th Oct 2017, 10:04 pm   #7
nigelr2000
Heptode

So long as it's the original remote trace out the key matrix for buttons assigned if you find a spare with no buttons that will be the 2 pins to short out.
Old 14th Oct 2017, 5:56 pm   #8
chaveiro
Retired Dormant Member

Discovered that this particular Salora chassis F was only on the market for 2 year, 1979 to 1980 so it' prety rare. Was not comercialized in UK, the first Salora TV in uk was model G.

A little progress:
Tried to view on the scope the wave form of the IR receiver output data pin and only got 15V. Somewhere it's stuck to positive. So followed the trace and it connected directy with the 2 nvrams TMS329NL on PIN 11, TMS37550NL on PIN11, and TMS1100NLP on PIN 8 via a 100K resistor then the trace follows to the display pcb and i dind't check further.

Removing all the ICs from the socked revealed that the IR data line is stuck somewere else and is dependent of the rest of the TV being ON, i mean, when i plug in the power supply the high voltage in turned on after 2-3 seconds, only if the TMS37550NL is unpluged at that time, i can now see the remote data on the scope and the display shows "-8", this "-8" is shown even without the NVRAMS, onyl the MCU working.
In any case still unresponsive to any button.
And as soon as the high voltage kicks in and the crt starts to shows the image, the IR remote data line is pulled high.
So i think to have some issue with different comonents:
- TMS37550NL is locking the CPU,
- The TMS329NL NVRAMS are corrupted or need a factory reset (not sure how without the service manual, anyone?)
- Need to identify where that data ine is being pulled high when the high voltage kick in.

Sourcing this ICs is getting tricky, none of my know local electronics stores had them anymore and a search on google was not productive either.
Old 17th Oct 2017, 12:07 am   #9
Maarten
Dekatron

The IR output doesn't usually go to more than 1 IC. Also, 15V is quite high for a logic signal. Did you make extra sure that you weren't following a positive supply line?
Old 17th Oct 2017, 9:56 pm   #10
chaveiro
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Maarten,
The TMS1100 was PMOS that works at 9 or 15v. I'm sure i've folowed the correct trace. Its pin 8 that means input pin K8 on the MCU, so it makes sense, the fact its going to the NVRams may be to program them via IR on that service mode that i still dont have instructions.

Just found this datasheets:
http://blog.kevtris.org/blogfiles/TM...ms1400info.pdf
http://blog.kevtris.org/blogfiles/TM...ata_Manual.pdf
Closed Thread