UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Oct 2017, 3:12 am   #21
joebog1
Banned

Default Re: Power Supply Capacitors

Isnt that resistor a metal glaze from Wescomponents.com?
Excuse my impertinence

Joe
Old 8th Oct 2017, 6:39 am   #22
Radio Wrangler

Modern resistors dissipate their power in smaller packages than their forebears by running at higher surface temperatures.

Choosing higher power resistors in big packages is a good recipe for cool running and good reliability.

Modern resistor materials may be OK at the higher temperatures but they can cook things around them and make solder joints go granular.

David
Old 8th Oct 2017, 11:46 am   #23
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebog1 View Post
Isnt that resistor a metal glaze from Wescomponents.com?
Yes, I think that is where that particular one in this case did come from.
Old 10th Oct 2017, 1:56 pm   #24
dave cox
Nonode

Why not modern film caps, or are these paper ones cheaper? A quick look gives 4 X 6u8 @ 400V for ~£10

dc
Old 10th Oct 2017, 2:04 pm   #25

Two bleeds one with a neon and one with an LED? Put them (the lighty up bits) on the front panel too. Mind you I have never had a good old mains neon fail, just one of those on the front should suffice.

Old 12th Oct 2017, 1:13 pm   #26
Maarten
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argus25 View Post
For many of my restorations now I've come to use the 2W metal film type to replace the old 1/4 and 1/2W carbon composition resistors. Because they will probably last forever in the under-stressed application and because of the physical size being similar to the original lower power rated types, they give a similar look under the chassis. Modern 1/4W resistors just don't look right under the chassis for valve gear.
More important: the smaller resistors aren't rated for the voltage that is usually across a bleeder resistor. Even for the larger ones, it pays off to check the datasheet beforehand.
Closed Thread