UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Mar 2017, 2:11 am   #1
AidanLunn
Heptode

Default Pye TV tuner disaster...

Hello all.

This relates to the Pye CTM17T TV restored here:

http://www.forum.radios-tv.co.uk/vie...hp?f=5&t=12263

I was just finishing off repairing a sync separator fault and stripping the set down to give the glass implosion screen and the CRT a clean and putting the chassis back in when the circlip around a ridge in the channel selector knob's shaft sprung forward, allowing the (spring loaded) fine tuner shaft to spring forward and cause then-unknown damage to the tuner. It was only when I switched the set on and attempted to tune a channel that I found something was very awry.

I took the chassis back out and almost immediately noticed that one of the solder legs from the paxolin fine tuning capacitor had come adrift, pulling that portion of the black substance it was soldered to off with it. Both of these joints are just pure solder, about a quarter of an inch of solder spread from where it connects to the rest of the tuner and the fine tuner capacitor. I firstly did try to re-solder the broken joint but the solder retreated to both ends of this patch and would not flow - because there was now nothing for it to flow to where it had been before!

I attempted to repair this but was only moderately successful. As some of this black "track" material had come away, I attempted to solder a piece of component wire between a solder blob I had put about half an inch away from the original joint that had come off (but still on a patch of whatever black material this was), and the joint from the leg to the rest of the tuner. I call this moderately successful as while it did work to an extent, it wouldn't allow a full range of fine tuning and the lower the frequency the set was tuned to, the more likely there was going to be intercarrier buzz on the sound. Channel 13 was almost perfect whereas channel 1 was unusable because of the level of intercarrier buzz!

Not to be deterred, I realised this could have been because the metal wire was too long, it was actually almost touching the chassis at one end. The solder blob at one end was also a bit too large (see pic 2). I didn't want to risk causing any further unnecessary damage to the tuner by just chopping off the top end of the wire with it in situ, so I went about unsoldering it. As I did so, the one remaining piece of black material (what is it? carbon?) that could take solder came away and now I am left with a tuner with an o/c fine tuner capacitor because of nowhere to solder it to and as a result, no picture. I did try unsuccessfully afterwards to use twisted cabling wire (pic 3) but I was unsuccessful in getting this soldered to any point on the fine tuning capacitor.

Pictures are attached.

So does this look repairable if I can somehow source a new fine tuner capacitor? Or (as I suspect) is the tuner royally bo***cksed and I'll have to wait a long time for a new one? I've seen quite a few mid-late 50s Pye TVs using these tuners, I'm the Pye PTV used them for one.

Any help to turn what is essentially now a massive boat anchor with a screen back into a TV set would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,
Aidan Lunn
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pyetuner1.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	139663   Click image for larger version

Name:	pyetuner2.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	139664   Click image for larger version

Name:	pyetuner3.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	139665   Click image for larger version

Name:	pyetuner4.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	139666  

Last edited by AidanLunn; 23rd Mar 2017 at 2:21 am.
Old 23rd Mar 2017, 9:05 am   #2
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: Pye TV tuner disaster...

The tuner was produced with many variants in spindle length which is the governing factor.
Unfortunately I dumped most of these old tuners many years ago but I will have a look and see what I have. Of course you may be able to swap some parts over if I can find anything similar. No promises with this one.
You can fit any tuner from a 405 line TV with a 38mc/s IF but it will be the mechanical bit/fitting that will cause you grief. John.
Old 23rd Mar 2017, 11:32 pm   #3
AidanLunn
Heptode

Default Re: Pye TV tuner disaster...

Hello John, the shaft on mine measures 11cm/4.2" from the front of the tuner's metal case (i.e. from just behind the fine tuner capacitor) to the user/knob end.

If one of the correct shaft can't be found then possibly a way of transplanting the shaft from this one onto a replacement with a different length shaft? Although looking at mine I can't work out how that would be done. It looks near impossible to separate the shaft and biscuits.

If another 38MHz IF output tuner can be found it would need to be one that can be fitted into the chassis if I can drill holes into the chassis at spaces where the fixings on a different tuner match up with suitable spaces in the metal chassis.
Closed Thread