UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Oct 2017, 8:56 pm   #1
Neil Purling
Nonode

Default Soviet EF89

Is there a USSR equivalent of the EF89?
It does not have to be exact pin compatible as it would be for a home-brew project
Old 15th Oct 2017, 9:03 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Soviet EF89

There's bound to be something similar, but it's not a rare valve anyway, and it's not sought after by the audiophile brigade (yet). For a homebrew project you should be able to use another even cheaper EFxx valve, most of which are cheap as chips having been used in huge numbers in TV sets. The EF80, 85, 183 and 184 are all good candidates. Many forum members will have lots of old pulls rolling around in the junk box. These valves all share the same pinout with the EF89.
Old 15th Oct 2017, 9:17 pm   #3
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

EF183 is a good sub, variable mu. higher gain. Pin compatible, cheaper now than chips.
But why do you want a Russian?
Old 15th Oct 2017, 11:26 pm   #4
Neil Purling
Nonode

I was remembering when I was after other valves the Soviet equivalent was far cheaper than European Old Stock.
I want a duplicate of the EF39, electrically speaking.
Old 15th Oct 2017, 11:35 pm   #5
paulsherwin

It's true that the EF89 is the closest B9A equivalent to the EF39, but the other suggestions should also be fine. It does depend on the circuit though. The B7G EF91 and 6BA6 are also possible subs.
Old 16th Oct 2017, 1:41 am   #6
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Purling View Post
I was remembering when I was after other valves the Soviet equivalent was far cheaper than European Old Stock.
I want a duplicate of the EF39, electrically speaking.
If you want the duplicate of the EF39, and an octal was ok, you could simply use the 6k7 which I'm pretty sure was a commonly made Russian part too, but if you want 7 or 9 pin variable mu pentodes there is a list of some here:

http://www.lh-electric.net/bin/etube0426.html
Old 16th Oct 2017, 9:54 am   #7
Neil Purling
Nonode

When considering a candidate for a minature EF39. I asked that question before in 2016 (I searched).
How specific can I be about the end use? Well... The valve has to work at MW RF and IF as an EF39 would. That includes use as the detector in a TRF.
The EF89 seemed the best choice. I wondered about a Soviet version, mainly on grounds of cost.
The type suggested would need some investigation in case there are internal connections that mean it isn't a perfect duplicate & therefore unsuitable for a specific circuit.

I got caught out that way when looking at 7 pin valves. The Soviet 6K4P is not an exact duplicate of a 6BA6.
Old 16th Oct 2017, 2:18 pm   #8
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

EF92 might be a better candidate for a miniature EF39.
Old 16th Oct 2017, 10:22 pm   #9
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Purling View Post
When considering a candidate for a minature EF39. I asked that question before in 2016 (I searched).
How specific can I be about the end use? Well... The valve has to work at MW RF and IF as an EF39 would. That includes use as the detector in a TRF.
The EF89 seemed the best choice. I wondered about a Soviet version, mainly on grounds of cost.
The type suggested would need some investigation in case there are internal connections that mean it isn't a perfect duplicate & therefore unsuitable for a specific circuit.

I got caught out that way when looking at 7 pin valves. The Soviet 6K4P is not an exact duplicate of a 6BA6.
Even though the cut off characteristics are different to the EF39, the most common small tube used in American radios in the applications you cite is the 6AU6, just fine in RF or IF applications. The Russian equivalent is the 6J4P which are about a $1.20 each if you buy 5.

(PS, a very very nice little pentode, again a sharp cut off type, intended for higher frequency use too, is the wonderful little 6AK5, these also have Russian & UK equivalents. These are the ones that had Fetron replacements made for them by Teledyne)
Old 20th Oct 2017, 3:44 pm   #10
tri-comp
Heptode

Neil,

There's no exact Russian EF89 eq. imo.
If you're fine with a 7-pin valve things are different.
The 6К4П has quite similar data to the EF89 so perhaps that's a solution.
I have no idea what they go for but they shouldn't be expensive.
Remote cut-off valves are not much good for audio, so for that reason alone they should be priced reasonable.

Here's a cross-ref. table for RU-valves.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RU-X-REF_Katsnelson&Larionov - 1981.pdf (137.3 KB, 208 views)

Last edited by tri-comp; 20th Oct 2017 at 3:52 pm.
Closed Thread