UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 11th Sep 2008, 10:47 pm   #1
Autochanger
Retired Dormant Member

Default New British Valve Manufacturer.

Just been reading about the London Sound and Vision show 19th – 21st September and one of the exhibitors is a British company (Blackburn MicroTech Solutions) announcing newly manufactured (old) valves called TechTube.

http://www.techtubevalves.com/index.php

Just to add I am in no way connected to this company, but my word their product looks promising.

Roy
Old 12th Sep 2008, 12:30 am   #2
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: New British Valve Manufacturer.

Thanks Roy. This is really interesting. I drove past the Blackburn site many times twenty years ago and then found out what it was when they closed it down! These strange valve things would be interesting from China or Russia but back on the old [Mullard?] stamping ground-that's really good. Dave W
Old 12th Sep 2008, 12:42 am   #3
ALANS ANITAS
Rest in Peace

I wonder if they would be interested in making some CRT cathodes?

ALAN
Old 12th Sep 2008, 9:54 am   #4
newlite4
Octode

The film reel goes into great detail showing all aspects of modern (1960s) valve manufacture and highlights the huge capital investment required to mass produce them. With this in mind, I wonder if the Blackburn plant ever completely closed or were some areas retained for very low production "just in case".
It was significant during the film reel that mention was given to glass envelopes for transistors (OC series etc) as well as for valves.
Lets hope that this can lead to some enlightenment and ultimately to a rebirth of UK valve manufacture.
Neil
Old 12th Sep 2008, 10:56 am   #5
yestertech
Nonode

I just watched the film in awe ! Who were the REAL heroes I wonder, the clever guys who designed all the plant and equipment which automated many of the processes ?
One can't help wondering about the commercials of such a new venture. In these days of bean counters controlling a company's future, can they really be allowed to produce valves at a sensible price with the sort of quality standards enjoyed by Mullard ?
That said, I noted with interest the rate of sales of some of the popular audio valve types by a well-known valve retailer who deals in old stock. To say that their considerable stock will soon be exhausted would be an understatement, so I guess theoretically the demand is there.
(NOT so for radio valve types alas, stocks here seem to stay fairly constant !! )
I for one would be delighted to be able to buy new audio valves without trusting to the vagueries of "NEW OLD STOCK" at exorbitant prices.
Andy
Old 12th Sep 2008, 1:56 pm   #6
Tim
Dekatron

I wonder if it would be worth their while making UL41s?

Last edited by Tim; 12th Sep 2008 at 2:02 pm.
Old 12th Sep 2008, 5:15 pm   #7
kalee20
Dekatron

...Or magic eyes?
Old 12th Sep 2008, 7:17 pm   #8
high_vacuum_house
Octode

or a few crates of EF80's
Old 12th Sep 2008, 7:28 pm   #9
Aerodyne
Octode

Quote:
The film reel
Er... am I being slow on the uptake? Exactly which film, and where is it to be seen?
-Tony
Old 12th Sep 2008, 7:34 pm   #10
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Hi Tony, It's on the "About Us" page:-

http://www.techtubevalves.com/about_us/film_reels.php

Regards, Mick.
Old 12th Sep 2008, 11:07 pm   #11
ianj
Heptode

Wonder if they would overhaul EM34 type magic eyes...........? ianj
Old 13th Sep 2008, 12:08 am   #12
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Most fascinating film I have seen in a long time - very nostalgic. I must have used thousands of valves over the years but never gave much thought to their production.

There was a Brimar valve factory not to far from us at the STC/Kolster Brands works at Footscray, I never got to see in it, but watched with fascination as the liquid oxygen was fed in to the building from the tanker.

I wonder how long they went on producing valves there as transistors made their appearance in the late '50s and within a decade had practically taken over. There has always been a demand for EL84's and ECC83's in the pop music business, especially as they came to realise that valves sounded better.

I always said 'Bring back valves' looks as though I've got my wish now!

Peter.N.
Old 13th Sep 2008, 4:05 am   #13
Mullard
Pentode

Well what a surprise. I used to work at Philips Road Blackburn when Mullard made valves there. I worked in PPFA (pre-production and factory assistance) and then in the technical department. I played a small part in putting nickel iron backbones in EF183s and EF184s to replace molybdenum in the frame grids (G1). I got out when it was clear there was no career future in valves. I moved into computers - a very good career move as it turned out. I shall watch this new venture with interest.

John
Old 13th Sep 2008, 12:43 pm   #14
Aerodyne
Octode

Thanks for the directions, Mick. Just watched the film through. Hard to see the processes at this size, but a fascinating glimpse of the past and proof yet again if proof be needed that valve technology was far, far more sophisticated than its ill-deserved epithet 'steam radio'. The engineering alone used in the production machinery is awe-inspiring. Clever folks, engineers...
-Tony
Old 13th Sep 2008, 4:30 pm   #15
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerodyne View Post
Hard to see the processes at this size...
The symbol just to the left of the volume setting on the bar beneath the film changes it to full screen - surprisingly good definition as well. I'll just echo what's been said already, a most worthwhile film and a surprising and joyous development which I'll hope to support with an order or two.

Paul
Old 13th Sep 2008, 6:34 pm   #16
TempusFugit
Triode

Agree with whats been said. Fascinating film- sat through its entirety- no mean feat for a Saturday evening! In awe at the number of processes and machines to produce one valve.
Old 13th Sep 2008, 8:50 pm   #17
radio edgar
Pentode

Brilliant film, and great to see something positive happening in Britain.
Shame they only do 3 valves at the moment but if we all support them as I will then who knows?

Regards

Paul
Old 13th Sep 2008, 9:29 pm   #18
vmp4gmpt4
Triode

Fascinated my 15 year old, who is admiring an old EL84 as I type, I am hoping this will kindle an as yet latent interest in the lad.
Excellent film, interesting news.
I may pass on the hot soldering iron yet.
Les
Old 14th Sep 2008, 9:37 am   #19
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

As has recently been discussed on another forum, the construction of these new valves is very different from their original equivalents. It remains to be seen if their characteristics and reliablility are comparable. A very interesting development, nevertheless!
Old 14th Sep 2008, 3:13 pm   #20
SKEXIS1
Retired Dormant Member

I wonder whether they would be interested in letting a party of people (maybe BVWS members?) through the doors to watch the new production process.

This could only be seen as positive PR from their perspective and would be very interesting for those members who could make the trip!

I wonder what the production cost per valve is? I don't think the website gives any clues as to the selling price per unit?
Closed Thread