UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Feb 2018, 6:41 pm   #1
Dickie
Octode

Default Philco 444 variations?

I purchased this "peoples set" at a house clearance auction a while ago and this weather has encouraged me to investigate it in detail. The chassis appears to be a 444 chassis, although there is no ID plate. However it is fixed to the case with only two (original?) screws, and they don't sit in between the two lower ribs, even though there are 4 holes. There are tell-tale indications that the 4 empty holes have been used. A web search reveals that the bottom ribs are located further in than those of a 444 case, and looks like the case of a 333. Is it likely that this is just Philco using up 333 cases, or have I got a home-made hybrid?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000477.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	158418   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000476.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	158419   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000475.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	158420  

Richard, BVWS member
Old 28th Feb 2018, 10:27 pm   #2
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default Re: Philco 444 variations?

When it came to examining my Peoples set it soon became evident it had been cobbled up from various bits and pieces. The cabinet is from a 333 battery set and the chassis from the model 296 wood cabinet version of the 444.
It's likely your set was assembled in the same manner as mine.
The 333 has a slightly larger cabinet and the chassis metalwork is totally different from that of the 444.
Most 333 sets come with three Mazda valves on MO bases but I've seen pictures of a 333 which has been equipped with valves which have the old British 7 pin base.

DFWB.
Old 28th Feb 2018, 11:23 pm   #3
Tractionist
Heptode

Hmmm ...... definitely a 444 chassis - seemingly in the wrong cabinet. (The manufacturing date is usually to be found 'ink stamped' beneath one of the under-chassis Bakelite capacitor blocs/tag pillars.)
Old 1st Mar 2018, 11:50 am   #4
Dickie
Octode

The mains transformer has 3-37 stamped on it. The set has had a lot of work done on it in the past, not all of it useful. The chassis seems to have been cleaned up with emery cloth or similar, and left bare so it now has a uniform light coat of rust over it. Most of the capacitors have been replaced with unsympathetic radial modern types. On checking out the wound components I find the speaker voice coil is open circuit. Removing the loudspeaker from its baffle reveals that the cone has a large tear in it, and has been completely detatched from the mounting frame. The voice coil is OK, but the leadouts had been unsoldered.
Perhaps this was someone's "work in progress" that had been thrown back together for a quick sale.

DFWB- I can't find a 296 version of a 444. Is that the right number?

Richard, BVWS member
Old 1st Mar 2018, 1:58 pm   #5
Dickie
Octode

Just found it- should be 269.

Richard, BVWS member
Old 2nd Mar 2018, 1:38 am   #6
FERNSEH
Dekatron

"DFWB- I can't find a 296 version of a 444. Is that the right number?"
Hi Richard,
Yes, it is in fact a 269 chassis in my Philco.
The attachment shows a version of the 333 battery set equipped with the older B7 base valves.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0030-2.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	158484  
Closed Thread