UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 20th Oct 2016, 6:28 pm   #21
Station X

Default Re: Peak Atlas semiconductor tester

I picked up mine from the Ipswich Branch of Maplin this afternoon. It came with the batteries installed.

I've tested a few random devices including some known to be faulty and it performs well.

I like the Peak Atlas testers and have been using their ESR/Capacitance Tester for some time.

Many thanks to Mark mhennessy for alerting us to this offer.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 20th Oct 2016, 7:04 pm   #22
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Hear hear!

Maplin have just sent me a mail to say mine has been dispatched.

Craig
Old 21st Oct 2016, 12:45 pm   #23
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Tester arrived!

Found one quirk - JFETs. It finds whether it is N- or P- channel, and identifies the gate terminal. But, the manual says, because drain and source are essentially electrically identical (at least from the perspective of the tester) that is as far as it will go. Bit of a shame since Idss would be a useful thing to know, particularly for FET matching.
Old 21st Oct 2016, 3:37 pm   #24
dodgy-dxer
Heptode

Mine was delivered during the past week while I was away working in Amman

No problem

Fred
Old 21st Oct 2016, 4:28 pm   #25
martiR2R
Hexode

Just reserved the last one in Blackpool store, delivery not available, will nip over and pick it up tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up Mark.
Old 21st Oct 2016, 7:00 pm   #26
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Very pleased with mine. A few things to note, I went back into my workshop to find the On button had stuck down this prevented the device from auto shut off. It seems the edge of the button can get under the front panel. I had a batch of geranium transistors to test a few failed but on changing the leads to the transistor it came up with correct identification, I did try to get a better connection to wires before reversing the leads. Also I found two identical looking unmarked transistors, one came up as NPN transistor the other a Darlington transistor unfortunately I have no way of telling which or if both readings are correct.

John.
Old 22nd Oct 2016, 11:47 pm   #27
Reelman
Octode

For those following this saga, I still hadn't heard from my local Maplin about the analyser by this morning. On phoning them, I had just started telling my tale when the lady interrupted me and said "say no more". It appears that an analyser had already been sent to Rotherham Maplin for me to collect. Unfortunately Maplin, in it's wisdom, had neglected to tell it's Rotherham branch who the analyser was for and that they were actually supposed to phone me! Good job I phoned them.
Anyway collected it this afternoon and all is fine.
Got there in the end!

Peter
Old 23rd Oct 2016, 11:04 am   #28
mhennessy
Dekatron

Excellent news

And nice to hear of all the other success stories - it seems we've cleared them out! I'll be interested to see if Maplin continue stocking them, because usually when they cut the price of something so dramatically, it's because they're clearing stocks prior to removing them from the catalogue. Back in 2004 they did the same with top quality Audax drive units, and thanks to a tip-off on diyAudio.com, loads of folk (including me) were able to stock up and build some nice projects.
Old 23rd Oct 2016, 1:08 pm   #29
AC/HL
Dekatron

Coincidentally, when I bought my Peak ESR60, Maplins were the cheapest source. Not by the same margin, though.
Old 23rd Oct 2016, 8:07 pm   #30
high_vacuum_house
Octode

I bought one earlier in the week with no problems and arrived safe and well a few days later. I haven't had the time to play with it yet.

Christopher Capener
Old 19th Nov 2016, 5:04 am   #31
Ti Pwun
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxdoctor View Post
...apart from the "test prods" falling to bits...
I've had mine for about a year now and two of the wires broke free from the clips at different times. The clips are small so get rotated around a bit while clipping them on to components. But after resoldering and sealing the hole where the wire enters the clip with silicone sealant, I've had no failures since. Probably worth injecting some now if you just acquired one.

Great unit, but I did experience false readings with Germanium transistors a while back, or rather a misidentification of the pinout, and that led to all sorts of head-scratching. Worth noting.
Old 19th Nov 2016, 5:20 pm   #32
Restoration73
Nonode

Some germanium devices were designed to operate symettrically, and base-emitter and
base-collector readings will be the same.
Old 19th Nov 2016, 10:22 pm   #33
threeseven
Octode

Damn and blast it! I missed this and although there are 2 left, they are in stores over 100 miles away with no option for home delivery!
Old 19th Nov 2016, 10:26 pm   #34
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Which stores? some kind local forum member may be persuaded to pop in buy and post it to you, You pay Him ? Her by paypal.

John.
Old 19th Nov 2016, 10:40 pm   #35
threeseven
Octode

That would be marvelous if someone would be kind enough to do that!
The stores are both in London,
City of Westminster,
Queensway,
166-168,
Queensway,
W2 6LY

and,

St Paul's,
12 St. Martin's Le Grand,
London,
EC1A 4EN

If someone reading this is able to collect and post to me, I would be most grateful. I could pay the store online and reimburse the postage by paypal.