UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Jan 2021, 3:37 pm   #1
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Lm317 and similar regs

Question , has anyone had this type of reg fail giving full output ,or are they fail safe, as I have built quite a few power supplies using this reg . Mick.
Old 14th Jan 2021, 3:40 pm   #2
agardiner
Octode

Default Re: Lm317 and similar regs

I have used these a lot over the years. Had a couple fail short circuit to ground, but never to output.
Old 14th Jan 2021, 3:43 pm   #3
vinrads
Dekatron

Ah that's good to hear, so a fuse on the input would be a good idea, Mick.
Old 14th Jan 2021, 4:47 pm   #4
kalee20
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by agardiner View Post
I have used these a lot over the years. Had a couple fail short circuit to ground, but never to output.
Can you clarify? The LM317 does not have a ground pin, it has a very low current reference pin, which is intended for connection to ground via a resistor, with another resistor from output to reference.

If the thing failed short from output to reference, the rest of the IC would pull the output really high, to re-establish the internal reference level. And that wouldn't do our load any good...
Old 14th Jan 2021, 4:54 pm   #5
Beardyman
Hexode

Similar regulator but more current capability (with suitable heatsink) is the LT1085CT (3A), LT1084CT (5A) & LT1083CT (7.5A).
We use these a lot where I work for providing local power supplies in our ROV's. Hardly ever get a failure, very rugged devices.
Old 14th Jan 2021, 7:10 pm   #6
vinrads
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee20 View Post
Quote:
Can you clarify? The LM317 does not have a ground pin, it has a very low current reference pin, which is intended for connection to ground via a resistor, with another resistor from output to reference.

If the thing failed short from output to reference, the rest of the IC would pull the output really high, to re-establish the internal reference level. And that wouldn't do our load any good...
Especially if it is the filament volts on some expensive 4 volt Telefunken valves , just for piece of mind I have fitted a fuse on the output then a zener diode . Mick.
Old 14th Jan 2021, 7:18 pm   #7
agardiner
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee20 View Post
Quote:

Yes, sorry for the confusion. I have had them occasionally fail, shorted between input and the reference pin. However, I don't know if there is an internal failsafe, but on these occasions there has been no output.

I think I would use a fusible resistor on the input for safety.
Old 14th Jan 2021, 7:49 pm   #8
dave cox
Nonode

I've seen them fail short circuit.
Certainly not indestructible on thermal overload, especially if you forget the bolt that holds them onto the heatsink!

dc
Old 15th Jan 2021, 7:35 am   #9
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

If your powering valves a 317 can do odd stuff like going into protection due to the high current surge. A crowbar circuit would be better than a zener for protection.

Andy.
Old 15th Jan 2021, 10:05 am   #10
vinrads
Dekatron

Just to clarify there is a fuse before the zener 5.1 volt 1 watt. it's only running a 250ma max .it is working fine , Mick.
Closed Thread