UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Nov 2019, 3:34 pm   #1
greenstar
Octode

Default Pin end spiral scroll saw blades ?

In my quest for the right tool to cut wavy shapes in sheet brass, re thread 'coping saw blades for metal', the conclusion was that I needed a piercing saw.

But I had a bright idea! I possess a scroll saw, THINKS, 'why not use this'! I picked this up at a sale recently but had not used it or checked it out. I look at blades. Brilliant! There are metal cutting spiral blades, ideal, so I order some, no sizes mentioned as scroll saws seem to be a standard size. They arrive. I find they do not fit, I discover as my saw takes pin ended blades, and they are without pin ends. Apparently more recent saws accept blades without pin ends, so nobody manufactures pin ended spirals. Non spiral, plastic/soft metal/wood cutting pinended are in abundance.

Does anybody know if pin ended spiral blades (which seem much better especially for metal) exist? Or should I really get a piercing saw? Google says they don't but may have done in the past before the present generation of saws. One should never forget Murphy's Law.
Old 12th Nov 2019, 6:46 pm   #2
greenstar
Octode

Default Re: Pin end spiral scroll saw blades ?

Just to tie this up, there are small clamps available for pin end type scroll saws that allow fitting of spiral blades. I find I did have a couple which looked far too large for that purpose, but I find that this is what they are for. I am now using spiral blades in the scroll saw to cut my fiddley shapes, very effective, if care is taken to avoid breaking them.
Thank you mods for your patience, thread can be closed.
Closed Thread