UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Nov 2019, 6:23 pm   #1
electronicskip
Nonode

Default Mellotron!

I've always been fascinated by this hybrid piece of equipment that looks like an electric piano but is almost totally far removed from it.

Keyboard is basically an electro-mechanical, polyphonic tape replay which uses magnetic tape over a head to produce a distinctive sound and made by Bradmatic in the 60's.

For myself the best known uses of it were the Beatles Strawberry fields and Genesis Peter Gabriels Watcher of the skies .

Does anyone out there own such a beast?
Old 5th Nov 2019, 6:36 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Mellotron!

The Wikipedia article has lots of info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mellotron
Old 5th Nov 2019, 8:13 pm   #3
electronicskip
Nonode

This Youtube film shows how they work and also the insides too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByD8gH7kYxs
Old 5th Nov 2019, 8:22 pm   #4
kevinaston1
Hexode

Sorry, I do not have one, but Streetly Electronics, the manufacturers are only about 80 miles from you in Staffordshire.

MI companies are always very friendly, and they may well offer tours of their facility.

Kevin
Old 5th Nov 2019, 10:15 pm   #5
McMurdo
Dekatron

There was a R4 documentary about the mellotron, presented by Chris Searle. I googled it and it came up with a mention on here...posted by me..in 2012
Old 5th Nov 2019, 10:50 pm   #6
Hartley118
Nonode

This has prompted a distant recollection of the Mellotron being used for BBCTV sound effects in their post-production dubbing studios. It would have been in the late 1970s, maybe 1978, when Neve was developing a version of the NECAM motor-driven fader computer automation system, known as NECAM D. The sound effects were recorded on the Mellotron tapes and played ‘on the fly’ from the Mellotron keyboard. The timing wasn’t usually spot on, but they could then be moved accurately into the right point on the soundtrack from the NECAM keyboard.

My fading memory is confirmed by this Mellotron website. http://egrefin.free.fr/eng/mellotron/fxconsoleE.php. Naturally the BBC Mellotron was highly customised - and even painted BBC grey.

I do remember that the first TV show to be dubbed using NECAM D was ‘Blakes 7’- remember that? I particularly admired the patience and stamina of dubbing engineer Malcolm Johnson, who not only had to learn the new system, but cope with various bugs and crashes. NECAM at that time was based on a minicomputer with a pair of 8-inch floppy disc drives storing the real-time data, so the potential for errors was quite exciting!

However, not only did NECAM prove to be the first successful computer-aided multitrack Mixdown system, it was part of the transformation of video recording in its evolution to now surpass film recording technology.

Martin
Old 5th Nov 2019, 11:55 pm   #7
Sideband
Dekatron

I thought one of the best tunes using the Mellotron was Nights In White Satin by the Moody Blues. In fact the Moodys made great use of the Mellotron on all of their albums from 1967 to 1972. I think it's a great sounding instrument.

Haunting in the background to this famous song.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdykXAT19Go
Old 6th Nov 2019, 1:08 am   #8
m0cemdave
Octode

The original sampler...
Old 6th Nov 2019, 12:21 pm   #9
raditechman
Heptode

Something with a similar name was the Melotone which was an elecronic organ using rotating discs, developed by the Compton organ company in 1932.
The organ in the Odeon Leicester Square still has a Melotone as well as a conventional pipe theatre organ.

John
Old 6th Nov 2019, 1:07 pm   #10
dragonser
Heptode

HI,
I've never been affluent to afford one ! I think Graham Bond was one of the first people to use it on a uk recording ?
a short demo film was made of the mellotron
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdkixaxjZCM
Old 6th Nov 2019, 1:12 pm   #11
Gulliver
Hexode

A friend of mine who is a semi-pro keyboard player used to have a M400, but the difficulty of keeping the thing in tune while touring led to him selling it and using digital samples of Mellotron sounds instead.

I'd love one, if I had money and space. They're in production again after various bands in the 90s discovered them (Oasis, Radiohead) and engaged Streetley to refurbish them. the ultimate result was a new Mellotron model for the 21st century the M4000, still on sale today.
Old 6th Nov 2019, 2:10 pm   #12
barrymagrec
Octode

Somebody gave me a couple of Mellotron capstans many years ago - about 5 feet long and just over 3/4 inch diameter, one was Brass, the other Nickel Silver.

I used them for making odd film rollers and suchlike, may even have a bit left somewhere.
Old 6th Nov 2019, 2:26 pm   #13
cosmocat
Triode

I remember going to see a Genesis tribute band "The Musical Box" in Bristol about 10years ago. They had a Mellotron on stage. After the curtain went up there was a 5 minute pause while a technician was called on stage and frantically tweeked the inards of the instrument to get the right sounds out of it.
After some fiddling, the Keyboard player gave the nod and "Watcher of the Skies" started to much applause.
Old 6th Nov 2019, 3:45 pm   #14
Gulliver
Hexode

My former 'Tron owning friend sometimes plays in a Genesis tribute band. "Watcher Of The Skies" has become so synonymous with the instrument that Streetly now specifically offer a "Watcher Mix" to recreate the sound...which I believe was strings and brass played together.

Steve Hackett kept a Mellotron for years and eventually sampled it in the 2000s for concerts "before it blew up". I understand Tony Banks still has one in storage. But they are indeed temperamental.

I'm pondering whether to see The Musical Box next year in St Albans but ticket prices are quite steep.
Old 6th Nov 2019, 4:19 pm   #15
Andrew2
Nonode

One of my favourite tracks containing a Mellotron is The Zombies' 'Care of Cell 44'. Mellotron comes in at about 30 secs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afrdo2qneoI

There's a good book: Mellotron: The Machine and the Musicians that Revolutionised Rock, by Nick Awde. There's not enough detail about the instrument as I'd like, but it's an interesting read.

Last edited by Andrew2; 6th Nov 2019 at 4:25 pm.
Old 6th Nov 2019, 5:47 pm   #16
dglcomp
Heptode

OMD also used one, both in the studio and live. Owning both a Mk. 1 M400 and a Novatron for touring.
This was primarily used on the A&M and Dazzle Ships albums after/during which it was replaced with an Emulator and Fairlight CMI Series II, it also was used on the A&M tour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2DLG522Kws
Old 6th Nov 2019, 6:27 pm   #17
Malcolm G6ANZ
Octode

Wikipedia has a list of groups that used the mellotron.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...ron_recordings
Old 6th Nov 2019, 6:36 pm   #18
m0cemdave
Octode

I remember in the mid seventies there was an attempt to develop a similar instrument. Instead of the full width loop frame it had a bank of individually replaceable tape loop cartridges, as used by 8-track playback machines. I don't think it ever went into full production.
Old 6th Nov 2019, 6:56 pm   #19
stevehertz
Dekatron

My friend Martin co-runs the company, he's based about five miles from me. It's a relatively small facility in his back garden. They make new ones and they also do a lot of work refurbishing, including sometimes - for richer clients - flying out to do the same. They also do a sample thing now, as a lot of people want that rather than a huge instrument. He's been to McCartney's, Weller's lots of places. We call him Martin Mellatron. Oh, we once took one to the open mic at our local pub and got a celebrity player, Richard Bailey to put it through its paces on various numbers.
Old 6th Nov 2019, 8:01 pm   #20
Gridiron
Heptode

Early users of the Mellotron included Barclay James Harvest, sometimes known as the "Cut Price Moody Blues", King Crimson who portray a disturbing medieval world "In the Court of the Crimson King" and Buffalo Springfield in "Expecting to Fly", I always thought the Mellotron ending of this gave a very "cold" sound very unlike conventional strings.
I saw Barclay James Harvest in Bristol in the 70's, they had a breakdown on stage, but I don't think the Mellotron was the cause.
Mike.
Closed Thread