UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Oct 2019, 9:05 am   #21
greg_simons
Octode

Default Re: Whats your winter project?

Pretty much the same as it's been through summer, more work to the thorn 2k, got to sneak the chassis past the missus's beady eyes, and a little valve radio for the neighbours.
Greg.
Old 28th Oct 2019, 9:25 am   #22
McMurdo
Dekatron

Default Re: Whats your winter project?

re-organising my valves (again). Acquired a few hundred valves this summer from an estate sale and they're all loose and jumbled up. A nice job for cold evenings in front of the box
Old 28th Oct 2019, 11:25 am   #23
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.
Default Re: What's your winter project?

To complete my Binatone Mustang project. To trace the no output faults on my Bush TR230 and Bush VTR330's. Replace leaking wax capacitors on my HMV 1124, reapir my HMV 1376, Replace all those Hunt Capacitors on my Bush VHF61.
On the TV side to make some room, and time, to get my 20" Murphy V2015D, uses the RBM A640 chassis, working. Replace the line sync diodes with the correct types on my Decca Bradford.
Its nice to dream as to do this lot I need to retire and find a nice little workshop somewhere.
Old 28th Oct 2019, 11:36 am   #24
M0TGX Terry
Hexode

I intend to make a battery eliminator for my 2 volt valve sets (so I can find out if they work!), and finish off a Bush DAC 90a for a friend, then the RGD A112 he gave me as a thank you for doing the Bush. Then there's sorting out my shed. When I moved here nearly 30 years ago the previous owner left a lot of "useful offcuts" of timber in the garage, I moved it into the shed and the only use I found for it was to use some to build a shelf to put the rest of it on. Then there's a decision to be made about 2 x 19 Sets, an R107, a No 17 set, a large Wavemeter Class D and whatever else I find in the shed.
I also help out with grandchildren so that's another day a week gone.
Like Ed, I probably need a split personality to get it all done (although I'm in two minds whether to bother .
Old 28th Oct 2019, 11:57 am   #25
Beardyman
Hexode

Continuation of the restoration of a Philco 1930's radiogram. It's somewhere between an enigma & a puzzle. At the moment it's a grand piece of furniture & the rest of it has taken up residence in "The Cave". Progress is slow but sure. I really must stop taking on basket cases.............
Old 28th Oct 2019, 2:10 pm   #26
mole42uk
Nonode

I'm going to work out how to move on my half-built 8 x EL84 stereo / Leak Troughline based receiver.

Then I can plan what to do next.....

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 28th Oct 2019, 2:31 pm   #27
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I intend to finish the Assmann 3002 disc dictating machine that's currently on the bench, whch shouldn't take too long.

Then get the Sigma 5000 graphics terminal back on the bench, get the ICs I know have failed and attempt to get it working. This thing is not simple, 300 or 400 ICs on 14 PCBs....

After that I've got plenty of projects. I've got a Ferrograph Series 7 that needs looking at. And maybe a domestic radio. I bought a Bush VHF64 a couple of weeks back, and found a Marcoinphone 264 in a local charity shop last week. Either of those would be interesting to work on.

Or maybe the R80 hard disk for my VAX 11/730...
Old 28th Oct 2019, 2:56 pm   #28
ionburn
Heptode

I find I need more incentive to do things in winter than in the better weather. I don't stop!
Old 28th Oct 2019, 9:07 pm   #29
FStephenMasek
Pentode

"Project" or "projects"? I've got 31 of my 1000 or so radios either unrestored, or partly restored. I've got three in my work area to do before any others. I'm working on my HMV468, need to reproduce the plastic parts for speaker cloth with concentric rings for my Emerson BD-197 "Mae West," and have a Bulova clock console with the chassis finished, but need to restore the cabinet, including finding a hinged clock cover.
Old 29th Oct 2019, 12:29 am   #30
high_vacuum_house
Octode

I also have a Marconi TF2370 spectrum analyser awaiting repair. Need to get the bench sorted out to make space. My TMB272 needs a final few tweaks and reassembling and I need to sort out the loft as it is getting rather full up there. I still have 3 other tellies to restore at some point, as well as a Tefifon type radiogram to restore.

Christopher Capener
Old 29th Oct 2019, 12:00 pm   #31
John10b
Nonode

I suppose “winter” in California is a lot different to uk, and heating the shed/workshop a lot less expensive
Cheers
John
Old 29th Oct 2019, 12:13 pm   #32
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

It is indeed.
Old 29th Oct 2019, 1:40 pm   #33
stevehertz
Dekatron

Make a list of all the outstanding projects.
Old 29th Oct 2019, 6:29 pm   #34
Techman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by high_vacuum_house View Post
I still have 3 other tellies to restore at some point.

Christopher Capener
Hah hah, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think one of those three would be that Marconi with mains EHT that you got from Lincoln a few months ago
Old 29th Oct 2019, 6:38 pm   #35
FStephenMasek
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by John10b View Post
I suppose “winter” in California is a lot different to uk, and heating the shed/workshop a lot less expensive
Cheers
John
Indeed. We live nine miles (straight line) from the Pacific Ocean at 900 feet above sea level. My work area is in the 3rd garage in our house. I own an environmental consulting company and inspect buildings and land. I sometimes wonder how people in my business deal with snow and ice. Farmers in California can often grow three crops per year.
Old 29th Oct 2019, 7:32 pm   #36
stevehertz
Dekatron

Well, unfortunately for Californians, dealing with snow and ice is probably easier than dealing with raging wild fires. Hope you're ok in that respect.
Old 29th Oct 2019, 8:02 pm   #37
The Philpott
Dekatron

As far as winter goes the first job for me to get the workshop floor clear so i can move freely, and so that a photo of it would not be an embarrassment. Tantalisingly close to achieving this.

On last week's BBC antiques roadshow an apposite comment by the expert was quite encouraging concerning a JVC videosphere, something along the lines of: 'It would be good to know if it works- that's very important.'
There might still be hope!

Dave
Old 29th Oct 2019, 11:52 pm   #38
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: What's your winter project?

Hi,
Well, apart from the ideas my wife comes up with occasionally, I have a Philips tape recorder that has lodged on the bench since the late Spring. Stereo, transistorised, and very heavy!
Lots of mechanical bits with dried up grease. I took plenty of photos as I stripped it down, but not enough (as always!)
It's been left for so long that I've forgotten where most of the bits go back, so I'm thinking '3D jigsaw puzzle.
Wish me luck!
Cheers, Pete.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tape 4.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	192654   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tape 5.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	192655   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tape 1.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	192656  
Old 30th Oct 2019, 12:33 am   #39
Techman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Philpott View Post
As far as winter goes the first job for me to get the workshop floor clear so i can move freely.
That sounds about the same as my situation!
Old 31st Oct 2019, 12:50 am   #40
retailer
Heptode

I have a valve tester partly built so need to finish it off - my other passion is model engineering so will probably put some time into a 25cc V8 model engine I'm working on. Here in Oz we are at the other end of the spectrum - while those of you in the Uk are having to deal with cold I have to deal with heat 40+deg for days on end, don't know which is worse.
Closed Thread