UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Nov 2019, 3:59 pm   #1
Gareth.
Diode

Default Bush SRP 51 Cartridge

Hi all, new member, old deck!
The cartridge has started to play up on my SRP 51, I know its supposed to be a Sonotone 9TAHC G, however this is proving quite difficult to get hold of.

I know the difference between a standard 9TAHC and the G is the housing, would it be possible to transfer the inner workings of a 9TAHC to the shell of my existing 9TAHC G?

And if you've followed that, I'm impressed because even I'm confused!
Cheers
Gaz
Old 14th Nov 2019, 12:27 pm   #2
John10b
Nonode

Default Re: Bush SRP 51 Cartridge

Hi welcome to the forum. You say you’d cartridge is playing up, could you describe the symptoms. I just wonder if it could be the stylus that needs replacing.
Cheers
John
Old 14th Nov 2019, 12:52 pm   #3
Gareth.
Diode

Hi John, thanks for responding.

The symptoms are it sounds like it needs a new needle. Low sound quality across the board, no real crackling, just lacking any clarity and very flat. But it isn't skipping etc.

So naturally, I replaced the needle, but this didn't fix the problem. So I tried with a third needle and the symptoms remained the same.

I had the unit fixed about a year ago, and was told that the cartridge wouldn't last much longer, so when this problem came up I assumed that it must be the cartridge.
Old 14th Nov 2019, 3:08 pm   #4
ben
Dekatron

The rubber suspension which holds the stylus cantilever deteriorates in these. I would be looking at replAcing it with a BSR SC11/12 and save yourself more grief.
Old 14th Nov 2019, 3:13 pm   #5
John10b
Nonode

Hi Gaz, you took the right action in first replacing the stylus.
I am unable to answer your question, not having attempted it, hopefully other forum members will reply to this post and be able to advise.
If you put your RP details in the Search section you will find lots of correspondence on your RP, which may prove useful to you.
Cheers
John
Old 14th Nov 2019, 3:28 pm   #6
Gareth.
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
The rubber suspension which holds the stylus cantilever deteriorates in these. I would be looking at replAcing it with a BSR SC11/12 and save yourself more grief.
Hi Ben,
Would a BSR SC11M fit straight into the arm or would it require modification?
I have to admit, I hadn't considered any sort of mod, but these cartridges seem to be much more available than the Sonotone options which would definately help me in the long run. The player was originally my great grandads, somewhere we have the original receipt, so whatever I can do to keep it going is alright by me!

Cheers
Gaz

John,
Thanks for the advice, I'm having abit of a scour and thanks for you help.
Cheers
Gaz
Old 15th Nov 2019, 11:09 pm   #7
ben
Dekatron

The player uses a Garrard 2025TC or 3500 I believe, with slim headshell. Some time back a member posted on here how to fit the BSR cart, it can be done.
Old 16th Nov 2019, 11:03 am   #8
simpsons
Octode

The thread(s) Ben refers to can be found by searching for "Bush SRP51 cartridge" on this site (top of page) or Google. There, details of replacing the sonotone cartridge, no longer available, with a BSR version is discussed together with fixing arrangements.

Chris
Old 26th Feb 2023, 3:15 pm   #9
Gareth.
Diode

Default Bush SRP51 with a Garrard Deck and Sonotone 9TAHC

Hi all,
Long time lurker, occasional question asker. And if I'm honest, I've asked this before, but gotten confused by the answers, so please bear with me.

I've had the srp51 for 10 years, it was originally my great aunties. I have replaced the cartridge twice, but I am aware that as the cartridge has rubber parts, this is not a forever solution.

I've previously seen it hinted that a BSR SC11/12, but I have no idea how. Could someone please outline what I would need to do?

Thanks for your help.
Old 26th Feb 2023, 5:43 pm   #10
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: Bush SRP51 with a Garrard Deck and Sonotone 9TAHC

You say you changed it twice. What type? New or used?
Old 26th Feb 2023, 7:18 pm   #11
Gareth.
Diode

Hi Ben, New old stock I believe, and each time, Sonotone 9TAHC's.

Both times, it worked nicely, but stopped after a while, so I'm looking for a more permanent solution, rather than sticking a 50 year old plaster on and hoping for the best.
Old 27th Feb 2023, 1:02 am   #12
nicam49
Hexode

I wonder if it's not the cartridge, but low ht...? Have you tried feeding an input through the tape input socket from a CD or mp3 player or radio?
There a YouTube video in 3 parts of someone servicing an RP51 worth viewing
Here a link to part 1: https://youtu.be/4d9pVbH2XIc
Old 27th Feb 2023, 1:21 am   #13
Michael Maurice

Quote:
The player uses a Garrard 2025TC or 3500 I believe, with slim headshell. Some time back a member posted on here how to fit the BSR cart, it can be done.
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=128909

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 27th Feb 2023, 4:02 pm   #14
Gareth.
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maurice View Post
Quote:
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=128909
Thanks to this, I put my order in for a bsr11, a grub screw and a tap yesterday! I'm a little nervous about it though, I tend to have more luck with cars than fiddely bits of plastic that are 50 years old.
Old 27th Feb 2023, 4:04 pm   #15
Gareth.
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicam49 View Post
I wonder if it's not the cartridge, but low ht...? Have you tried feeding an input through the tape input socket from a CD or mp3 player or radio?
There a YouTube video in 3 parts of someone servicing an RP51 worth viewing
Here a link to part 1: https://youtu.be/4d9pVbH2XIc
I hadn't thought of that, I'll pop down and check it tonight.

Why I haven't thought to look on youtube before I have no idea! Thank you for this. Although watching him go, I'm tempted to just email and see if he can service and solve the problem for me, it is my favourite way to listen to music afterall.
Old 27th Feb 2023, 6:32 pm   #16
nicam49
Hexode

After making that suggestion, I'm not sure now that you can feed an input into the 'tape' socket.... can any other forum member confirm this is possible?.... thanks!
Old 27th Feb 2023, 6:42 pm   #17
Gareth.
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicam49 View Post
After making that suggestion, I'm not sure now that you can feed an input into the 'tape' socket.... can any other forum member confirm this is possible?.... thanks!
You can, but I believe it's mono. It's just been a little while so I'll have to find the cable!
Closed Thread