UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Nov 2019, 3:45 pm   #1
greenstar
Octode

Default Coping saw blades for metal

Hi, I need to cut some irregular shapes from sheet brass to repair a writing slope. I know, it's not a radio, but is a nice vintage thing. First thing to spring to mind is a coping saw, but I have no blades to suit metal. I can only see the flat steel blades for wood, but am sure I have seen round (diamond?) blades for metal. Can someone point me to a supplier?
Thanks,
Tony
Old 7th Nov 2019, 4:25 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Coping saw blades for metal

'Abrafile' is a round cross-section wire-thin blade to go in standard hacksaw frames.

David
Old 7th Nov 2019, 4:27 pm   #3
mole42uk
Nonode

I've always used a jewellers piercing saw for that sort of job. Available from Axminster amongst other suppliers. Blades are readily available for metal....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	910406_xl.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	193249  

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 7th Nov 2019, 4:27 pm   #4
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

You want a piercing saw, these days often called a Jeweller's Saw. The blades don't last long but are only about a penny each. There are many types of blade available but 3/0 is a good general purpose one.
Old 7th Nov 2019, 5:02 pm   #5
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

One more vote for Piercing Saw, blades of different TPI available without problem.

B
Old 7th Nov 2019, 5:14 pm   #6
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
'Abrafile' is a round cross-section wire-thin blade to go in standard hacksaw frames.

David
Something tells me Abrafile blades aren't made any more?

Andy
Old 7th Nov 2019, 6:05 pm   #7
greenstar
Octode

Thanks for the info. That piercing saw looks to me exactly like a coping saw. What is the difference?
Old 7th Nov 2019, 6:20 pm   #8
Station X

The method of fixing the blade I think. Coping saw blades have a thin pins at the end which locate in slots in the frame. Piercing saw blades are clamped into the frame like fretsaw blade. You can also rotate coping saw blades within the frame along their longitudanal axis.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	325001_xl.jpg
Views:	621
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	193266  

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 7th Nov 2019, 6:20 pm   #9
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

The one pictured is a bit odd, and if you zoom in the blade is in upside-down.

Piercing saw blades don't have pins through the ends and on MOST saw frames the back part of the frame can be moved to tension the blade or moved towards the front so you can use blades that have had part broken off.

There's a decent article about them here: https://www.kernowcraft.com/jeweller...s-piercing-saw
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	jewellers-piercing-saw-budget-fully-adjustable-frame.-m7800-4906-p.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	193265  
Old 7th Nov 2019, 6:44 pm   #10
Radio Wrangler

Hmm, I've not bought abrafiles for some time so I'm not sure about availability nowadays. I rough out odd shapes with the plasma cutter now and file to a finish.

David
Old 7th Nov 2019, 8:15 pm   #11
greenstar
Octode

Looks like the tool to have! Thanks for your advice.
Tony
Old 7th Nov 2019, 8:39 pm   #12
buggies
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Hmm, I've not bought abrafiles for some time so I'm not sure about availability nowadays.
Silly prices asked (and some paid) on Ebay. I still have a few 12" and 6" but they are very brittle and easy to break if not handled carefully.
Old 8th Nov 2019, 9:35 am   #13
BulgingCap
Pentode

I don't think I have ever broken an Abrafile, or worn one out even on extended use on stainless sheet. The last time I wanted to use one I realised that I had lost the ends- they have a fork to hold the 'mushroom end' of the file, and a tiny terry clip to enable it to stay on the hacksaw pin whilst fitting the file. I drew up a diagram but never got around to making a pair.
It is a wonderful tool with a little practice, and will cut in any direction without having to manoeuvre the hacksaw frame around the workpiece.
BC
Old 8th Nov 2019, 9:36 am   #14
BulgingCap
Pentode

The file has a 'variable tooth pitch' so that the cut starts off in fine pitch and ends in coarse (if one installs it correctly...)
Old 8th Nov 2019, 7:55 pm   #15
buggies
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulgingCap View Post
I don't think I have ever broken an Abrafile, or worn one out even on extended use on stainless sheet
They are fine if kept under tension but it is these little single-ended (pic) that snap at the slightest bend when filing. Down to my last two.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	abrafiles.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	193369  
Old 14th Nov 2019, 1:17 pm   #16
greenstar
Octode

I've had a flirtation with a scroll saw, which I picked up for a fiver this summer, and set up with spiral blades, which seemed ideal. But the vibration and lack of control on cutting a small metal part did not help produce a good result. So I will be getting a piercing saw. I'm glad I tried as it's a useful thing and it's now ready to use, but it's back to hand tools for this job for which they seem far better.
One difficulty is in transferring the shape to the bit of brass sheet (salvaged from an old ashtray). First attempt I made a rubbing with pencil, cut it out, and stuck it to the brass with prit stick. I think I might try pressing aluminium foil to the hole to mark the outline and making a template from that next. Any other ideas appreciated. The piece is about 20mm across.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1130175.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	193695  
Old 14th Nov 2019, 4:30 pm   #17
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Just for interest, if you use a piercing saw, put the teeth so you cut downwards, ie holding the handle at the bottom and the blade vertical.
Best to have a piece of ply with a 'V' attached to a vice or similar.
Old 14th Nov 2019, 4:49 pm   #18
greenstar
Octode

I can see how the work is held on the photo from the link (post 9). I'm glad I looked as I would have made so many mistakes learning the right way! There's an excellent video showing the knack of using piercing saws on that page. I have seen jewelers working before, and that vee shaped support and the bench with a cut out seems a very useful thing for tiny work. I'll knock up a vee to go in my usual vice.
Old 18th Nov 2019, 2:35 pm   #19
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstar View Post
I've had a flirtation with a scroll saw, which I picked up for a fiver this summer, and set up with spiral blades, which seemed ideal. But the vibration and lack of control on cutting a small metal part did not help produce a good result. So I will be getting a piercing saw. I'm glad I tried as it's a useful thing and it's now ready to use, but it's back to hand tools for this job for which they seem far better.
One difficulty is in transferring the shape to the bit of brass sheet (salvaged from an old ashtray). First attempt I made a rubbing with pencil, cut it out, and stuck it to the brass with prit stick. I think I might try pressing aluminium foil to the hole to mark the outline and making a template from that next. Any other ideas appreciated. The piece is about 20mm across.
Bit off the wall, but does anyone sell brass adhesive tape? Copper and aluminium are readily available. A suitable backing of heavy card with tape on top would be easier to cut to shape.

Depends on whether you're repairing or restoring I guess.....

I've just used card and gold paint before now
.........O..Chris....O
Old 18th Nov 2019, 3:26 pm   #20
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

QV Rocol Marking Blue, Chris. Sticking tape isn't accurate enough apart from being messy.