UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Nov 2010, 12:37 pm   #1
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Question Which schematic

In the download section there is a choice of Manufactures or R&TV servicing schematics.

Which is the best to go for. I am looking for one that has voltage readings to expect and listed on a circuit. Otherwise just a plain schematic is not much use. I don't want to spend £2 for something that isn't any real help.

Thanks
Old 27th Nov 2010, 12:39 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Which schematic

I generally find that the manufacturer's service information is best.

If you post what model you want service data for I'll have a look at the sheet for you and tell you if it has voltage readings.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 27th Nov 2010, 12:45 pm   #3
Mr Moose
Octode

Hello,
What radio is it? (I could check on the CD if it's on there.) Normally I would expect the Manufacturers data to be better than R&TV as the R&TV has to be condensed onto a page or two.
Yours Richard
Old 27th Nov 2010, 12:51 pm   #4
AlanBeckett
Rest in Peace

I usually get both if they are available.
I'll worry about it when I'm down to my last £1.99
Alan
Old 27th Nov 2010, 1:50 pm   #5
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: Which schematic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
If you post what model you want service data for I'll have a look at the sheet for you and tell you if it has voltage readings.
Thanks Graham much appreciated, the radio is the EKCO U332 I have been restoring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Moose View Post
Normally I would expect the Manufacturers data to be better than R&TV as the R&TV has to be condensed onto a page or two.
Yours Richard
And thanks Richard, I keeping thinking I should get the CD, I would have thought the manufactures data sheet would have been the better one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBeckett View Post
I usually get both if they are available.
I'll worry about it when I'm down to my last £1.99
Alan
You are too rich Alan, but I had wondered about getting them both and foregoing my lottery ticket

Thanks
Old 27th Nov 2010, 2:28 pm   #6
Station X

The manufacturer's service data consists of four pages. There is a table giving voltage and current readings for various points in the circuit including valve pins. There's also a table of inductor resistances.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 27th Nov 2010, 3:21 pm   #7
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Well worth getting the DVD.

I treated myself and bought the DVD and the Valve Data disc last Christmas and have used both of them in the ensuing year a great deal. It may seem quite and outlay at first sight, but for what you get - more than 8,000 models, IMHO, it's a real bargain and pays for itself in no time at all.

I can't begin to imagine the effort that went into collating and scanning all the info to produce the DVD. Many sets have the Trader Sheet, the ERT sheet and the maker's sheet as well. As a general rule, the maker's sheet will be more comprehensive. Taking the DAC90A as an example, the Bush sheet runs to eight pages, has a better diagram of the dial cord re-stringing, and the valve pins marked on the sheet. The Trader Sheet is just two pages.

It's often useful to print off all of the info as what's missing on one sheet may be on another. You just have to be careful when referring to componenent numbering as it varies from Trader Sheets to Makers' sheets.

Best of luck with your Ekco U332 restoration Geof.

David
Old 27th Nov 2010, 3:33 pm   #8
paulsherwin

The R&TVS info is usually pretty basic, and often little more than a circuit diagram, though it's better than nothing. The manufacturer's data is usually the most comprehensive, followed by the trader sheet.
Old 27th Nov 2010, 4:08 pm   #9
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
The manufacturer's service data consists of four pages. There is a table giving voltage and current readings for various points in the circuit including valve pins. There's also a table of inductor resistances.
Thanks for the info Graham, the manufactures data would be the one to get then by the looks of things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post
Well worth getting the DVD.
David
Thanks David, the DVD does look very good value with more circuits than I could ever use, a top source of reference. It is very often that little bit of information that never seems to be on the trader sheets, though I do like the way the trader sheets are laid out usually with easy to follow schematics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
The R&TVS info is usually pretty basic, The manufacturer's data is usually the most comprehensive, followed by the trader sheet.
Thanks Paul, I will be getting the manufactures sheet, it could be that the R&TVS at the same price is a bit over priced when an alternative is also offered. The trader sheets are usual good enough, though it is better when schematics show the actual voltages to expect, though it tends to be more for tvs where waveforms are also shown.
Old 27th Nov 2010, 11:58 pm   #10
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

The manufacturers sheet has been downloaded. The voltages of my Ekco are all very close to those on the data sheet which I am pleased about after fitting new components.

Thank you all for your assistance, this thread can be closed.
Closed Thread