UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Nov 2010, 7:21 pm   #1
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Default The first Thermionic Valve

Heard this short but informative piece on the early develepment of the first valve.Can be listened to on BBC Iplayer (23.00 ish -on)An excellent example of why the BBC is the best in the world,and shouldn,t be """""" about with by silly men in suits,etc etc, Andy.
Old 3rd Nov 2010, 10:55 am   #2
threeseven
Octode

Default Re: The first Thermionic Valve

Heard that too in the car on Monday evening. Quite an interesting discussion on how all electronics has derived from the valve. Coincidentally I had that exact same discussion recently with a friend who asked how electronics had "come about". Being a young guy he had no awareness at all of valves and was totally fascinated when I explained them, he now wants to see a valve radio so I will be carting one over to his place, should be an interesting reaction. I envy him, imagine never having seen a valve before !
Old 3rd Nov 2010, 11:00 am   #3
Station X

This was aired on the BBC Radio 4 programme "Material World. Avalable to listen again here:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qyyb

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 3rd Nov 2010, 11:24 am   #4
Aerodyne
Octode

Interesting stuff, this. We should not forget that the crystal diode predates the Fleming thermionic valve, though. Rectifying properties of certain crystals were discovered by Braun in the 1870s and Bose, the brilliant Indian scientist, developed the crystal diode as a radio detector circa 1895-1906. Other experimenters were working on much the same lines around the same period. I maintain that the crystal, as much as the valve, provides the background to modern electronics.

Don't get me wrong - I love valves and consider their invention an essential element in the development of radio and electronics generally. Its just that the humble crystal played a very important role, too.

-Tony
Old 7th Nov 2010, 4:09 pm   #5
m0cemdave
Octode

Some researchers in the 1920's discovered that adding a second cat's whisker could produce an amplifying device. But crystals were a dead technology, the future was in thermionic devices, and so there was no point in following up those odd results nor wasting R&D time on them...

Last edited by Dave Moll; 7th Nov 2010 at 5:31 pm. Reason: unnecessary to quote preceding post in full
Old 7th Nov 2010, 9:36 pm   #6
neon indicator
Retired Dormant Member

Yes, the success of Valves held back semiconductors a bit. FET theory was in 1930s. It was few years after the 1947/1948 "transistor" (pretty much germanium with two "cat's whiskers ) that they figured how to make FETs, in Silicon, not Germanium.

The first patent for FET type device was 1925, but I don't think any made then. Nor was the name "transistor" used till 1948.
Closed Thread