UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Feb 2012, 1:38 am   #1
davegsm82
Heptode

Default Radio-Computer hybrid.

I asked advice a little while ago and the following is what I was trying to achieve, I'm interested in people's opinions of what I've created (so far).

https://sites.google.com/site/davegs...cts/radioputer

Cheers, Dave.
Old 1st Feb 2012, 8:56 am   #2
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Default Re: Radio-Computer hybrid.

Some quality hacking and lashing there Dave!

I think you must have far too much spare time More power to your elbow!

Cheers
Sean
Old 1st Feb 2012, 2:44 pm   #3
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

This is interesting Dave82. I have seen limited attempts to do different technology/case combinations in computer mags but not quite in the same way and definetely not housed in a "woody" cabinet. There have been designs to eliminate noise via processor water cooling systems using devices designed for fish tanks! Re-cycling of parts and ideas like this chimes with the forum ie part re-use/part vintage.

As I don't have the computer skills I would struggle to put things together but when stand alone internet radio receivers were still a very expensive rarity and using a big power hungry desk top to listen to internet radio seemed wasteful, I did speculate on the minimum amount of bits required to produce a home made device-some sort screen being of course the main requirement to for user navigation. That sort of thing should be a natural "fit" in a radio cabinet.

I look forward to reading about the rest of this project and maybe seeing your "Beginners Guide to Building an Internet Radio from Scrap" [or scratch].
Dave W
Old 2nd Feb 2012, 12:59 pm   #4
davegsm82
Heptode

Thanks for the comments.

The purpose of this unit isn't necessarily to be a radio only, although I can see it getting used as my internet radio more than my ACTUAL internet radio.

Since it has an HDMI port etc then it will most likely become more of a media centre, since I don't have anything like this currently. It will also be a NAS drive and a form of picture frame too.

Most people (including myself) don't have a PC in the living room any more, so I think it would be nice to have an aesthetically pleasing and functional computer hanging around again.

I will be putting more updates on the site soon, possibly also listing some valves up for sale if I get time, I'm now just waiting for some SATA cables to arrive from china so that I can progress the build more.

Dave.
Old 2nd Feb 2012, 3:39 pm   #5
julie_m
Dekatron

As you now have a screen where the speaker used to be, how about filling the void where the tuning scale used to be with a speaker? You probably could even reuse some of the original grille material over it.
Old 2nd Feb 2012, 6:12 pm   #6
davegsm82
Heptode

I had originally thought of doing this, however I want full stereo sound so I'm considdering mounting the speakers in the sides of the cabinet facing sideways, I'd need to make some sort of speaker grille for this which i'm not awfully sure about.

Another option is moving the screen to the centre and having speakers either side, again re-using the original grille material (aluminium). Only drawback is that I don't have another brass strip the same as the one already fitted, so something would have to be mocked up.

Hmm, decsions....

Dave.
Old 3rd Feb 2012, 10:32 am   #7
G0PKH - Pete
Retired Dormant Member

Very nice project

Why not slip a USB touchscreen kit (ebay) on top of the screen. And add the software for a touch screen jukebox as well as Internet Radio.

Very interesting stuff about interfacing to different LCD panels.

Pete
Old 3rd Feb 2012, 12:01 pm   #8
davegsm82
Heptode

Thanks Pete,

I had considered installing a touchscreen system on it earlier, as the panel already has a WACOM pen sensor behind the LCD, however finding the relevant hardware on the original motherboard and cutting/interfacing to it would be very difficult. I do have the pen though.

I do have a 5-wire 10" resistive touch panel, however I don't have the interface board so I may look into getting the correct one (again they are on the auction site).

I like the jukebox idea, would be excellent for parties.

Dave.
Old 8th Feb 2012, 1:50 am   #9
davegsm82
Heptode

More updates tonight on Page2.

Dave.
Closed Thread