UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Aug 2010, 1:21 pm   #21
love kt3
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Hitachi Radio Cassette Player

hi,what you said about half-pressing the play button makes me think that there is deffinatly a problem with the reed switch.you will find it somewhre on the back of the mecanical tape movment.you also must get new belts.also get a can of switch cleaner and clean the 2 long switches on the pcb.i think that squere metalic box is the erase oscilator-leav it alone.
Old 23rd Aug 2010, 8:08 pm   #22
Bensdad
Tetrode

With thanks to members of this forum , Im pleased to say that I have been able to `correct` the problems with this cassette player.
I know that new drive belts are required and these will be purchased.
The problem with playback of tapes was in fact due to a faulty switch (shown in photograph) although this appeared to be making good contact , it clearly wasnt as when it was poked with a screwdriver , the tape mechanism played !!
So the switch has been cleaned , poked and gently adjusted - all is working fine now , tapes play perfectly.

Many thanks to members who have advised / helped with this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	switch.jpg
Views:	558
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	39743  
Old 5th Apr 2011, 10:58 pm   #23
pfloding
Diode

Hi all!

This is my first posting here!
I found this site looking for a belt for my Hitachi TRK-9140E. The tape mechanics look identical to the one in Bensdad's Hitachi, so I wonder if the OP did manage to source a suitable capstan belt in the end?

(I've tried a range of square belts, but they do not want to stay on the flywheel, and ride in the wrong place on the motor pulley.

BTW, the original capstan belt had turned into black goo, which was a pain to get rid off as it has ended up in quite a few places.

Many thanks in advance for any help!

Patrik
Old 6th Apr 2011, 8:10 pm   #24
Bensdad
Tetrode

Hi ;
Suprised to see my thread being revived after several months.
I found two suppliers of cassette drive belts by google , AJ Hill Electronics in London and GBAudio.co.uk.
I did order a set of belts from Hill`s but had to return them due to being incorrect size.
The biggest problem I had was determining the exact measurent , due to the original belt losing some of its elasticity.
The belts I ordered were fractionally too tight , this resulted in slow playback speed , so I returned them for a refund , incidentally my recorder takes the flat type belts.
I refitted the original belts , although they a wee bit loose , the recorder does play and at the right speed , at some point in the future I shall order some new ones though.
I would be curious to see inside your tape player and see how the belt actually fits , if you can upload any pics.
Old 6th Apr 2011, 9:58 pm   #25
pfloding
Diode

Hi!
I have ordered a belt now, after measuring using a string. I measured 270mm, and ordered a slightly shorter belt (3.5mm wide). I'll fit it tomorrow and let you know how it went, and take some photos. I actually looked at your photos to see how the belt is supposed to sit -although there aren't many options really. It must ride on the flywheels outer rim (let's hope it will stay there!).
I will update tomorrow then!
Regards
Old 7th Apr 2011, 10:30 pm   #26
Bensdad
Tetrode

Hi,

I tried measuring using string but still managed to order the wrong size (slightly too tight), the outcome was slightly reduced playback speed. I am pleased we agree that the belt goes around the outer flywheel, I wasn't sure whether it was the outer or inner.

Superb machines these Hitachis, much better than some of the rubbish that is on the shelves nowadays.

Look forward to seeing your pics. Since I dabbled with my machine, the auto stop on playback no longer works yet it still works on FFwrd and Rewind !! - weird!
Old 7th Apr 2011, 10:34 pm   #27
pfloding
Diode

Here are photos, with captions describing the belts etc:

https://picasaweb.google.com/patrikf...eat=directlink

The square belt was one of a set of 12 purchased on ebay.
The flat belt was a single belt also purchased from ebay (MalvernAudio).

It all works fine now, playing some old tapes as I type this. The rubber rings around the various wheels looked reasonably OK, so I didn't touch them for now. (Not sure if standard suitable square belts can be used to replace them eventually.)

BTW: Anyone know what the "RIF" switch with positions "A", "B" and "C" is for?

Last edited by pfloding; 7th Apr 2011 at 10:45 pm.
Old 7th Apr 2011, 11:12 pm   #28
pfloding
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bensdad View Post
Superb machines these Hitachis, much better than some of the rubbish that is on the shelves nowadays.
The build quality is impressive indeed!

Sound quality from this unit is very good (when properly set up). Just like how I remember it from ca 1980. The tape section doesn't use the "nylon tongue" method to let tape tension actuate auto-off -something I'm very happy about as I would be reluctant to put my tapes into that type of machine.

The radio section sounds good, and the headphone out sounds good, if a little noisy (tapping the power of the main amp no doubt).

I made a -10dB attenuating DIN cable to hook up an mp3 player to it as well.

BTW, I stumbled over an obscure feature: If the tape section is running and the power button is pressed to "off" then the unit keeps playing until the end of the tape and then shuts off power! Switching to the radio section lets you listen to radio/record radio until the tape runs out.
Old 7th Apr 2011, 11:46 pm   #29
Bensdad
Tetrode

Some very useful info on that last post, re belt sizes, and your cassette player looks very similiar to my own.
Out of curiosity, which model is it and how old ?
Old 8th Apr 2011, 12:19 am   #30
pfloding
Diode

It's a TRK-9140E.

I think the model is from about 1978 or so. I guess this one is around 30 years old. Although almost mint. I never owned this one at the time. Far too expensive for me -I just wanted one! I got this one recently.

If you didn't have the rubber goo, be very happy! It was a right PITA to get off.

I have managed to find out that "RIF" is to filter AM reception to avoid beating. Radio Interference Filter, I guess it must mean.
Old 14th Jun 2011, 9:33 pm   #31
Bensdad
Tetrode

Finally getting around to order new belts for this unit (long in need of replacement).
Is there anything that can be done for noisy volume,balance , bass, treble controls and the switch selector for tape/radio ?
When these are switched or adjusted , there is slight noise / hiss , (not too much of a problem) which is characteristic of old audio equipment , I wonder if it is worth purchasing some electrical contact cleaner to spray around these controls to help eliminate or stop this?
Old 29th Jan 2012, 3:15 pm   #32
Bensdad
Tetrode

HELP ?
fitted new belts to the cassette in this system and sprayed some servisol around the switches and volume , bass contols etc inside.
I have given myself another problem in so far as there is zero sound from either radio or the cassette , there is definetely power in the unit as the indicator lights up when it is switched on and there is an audible sound through the speakers when the radio / tape selector switch is moved about , togerher with the VU meters moving - as is normal so there is definetely some life in there.
With volume on maximum there is nothing out of the speakers or headphones , no background hiss or nothing .
could the servisol have caused these problems ?
Old 29th Jan 2012, 3:52 pm   #33
Michael Maurice

With power and batteries removed,check that there is continuity through the switch section of the headphone socket, if not the socket has gone faulty.
Old 29th Jan 2012, 5:14 pm   #34
sp10mk11
Octode

Just a thought
too the right of the motor is the transport power on/off switch when you press play this should make contact put it into play mode and move the coppper contacts on the swith to see if this helps.
Just out of interest you have put the originall drive belt back in its correct place havent you

Also do change the belts on this as has already been said at 30 years old your lucky they havent turned to a goo.

There is a seller in germany who sells complete belts kits for tape decks, they are not cheap but they are the exact sizes.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/revox_de/m...&_trksid=p3686

If he doesnt have it then google the model number there is a company in the USA who also supply belt kits for tape decks

https://www.turntableneedles.com/

Good luck
Gary
Old 29th Jan 2012, 5:23 pm   #35
Steve_P
Dekatron

I'm with Micheal on this. Check the headphone socket, also have any wires come off anywhere. As it's a stereo machine, it is unlikely for both channels to fail.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 29th Jan 2012, 6:56 pm   #36
Bensdad
Tetrode

In response to this,the cassette has just had new belts put into and the tape transport would appear to be working fine.

It will play, fast forward and rewind and the auto stop mechanism functions too. It is the deathly silence coming from the machine which concerns me most. The only noise I get is when I connect the power cable or when changing the selector switch from Radio-Tape-Line In. This will emit the usual characteristic`pop` through the speakers together with the VU meter jumping.

I am not convinced that the headphone socket could be faulty as when a cassette is normally played the VU meters work in conjunction with audio levels, at the moment this is not happening.

I have looked around the inside of the unit but have not noticed any broken or unconnected wires. I will borrow a test meter tomorrow.
Old 29th Jan 2012, 7:26 pm   #37
sp10mk11
Octode

Have you had the main board out? disconnected any connectors, is the record/replay switch in the correct position, lifting the tape transport out you might have gotten the record/replay switch jammed in the wrong position.

Also dont these models have a mechanical linkage between the selector and the switch mounted on the circuit board, i have on other hitachi's of that periiod got these mis-aligned so the function switch or tuner band selector doesnt operate.....just another thought. it is a long time since i worked on an hitachi radio/cassette

Can you get to the volume/tone control board with it all connected up? this is the stage before the power amplifier, if you were to lightly touch the pins on the volume control you should get a loud buzz through the speakers, if you dont then there is a break some where between this board and the power amp

Beyond that without it laid out infront of me i cannot guess anymore

Good luck
Gary
Old 29th Jan 2012, 7:38 pm   #38
Bensdad
Tetrode

In response to Gary ;
There is an `arm` which connects from the actual selector switch on the unit to a switch on the board , this in turn pushes what looks like microswitch and moving this around (alternating between tape/radio/line in) sends a pulse through the speakers ,I can get to the volume/bass/treble board and touching the pins on the volume control also sends a hum through the speakers.
Old 29th Jan 2012, 7:51 pm   #39
sp10mk11
Octode

ok that would tell me that the problem is before the preamp (tone vol board) and the problem is do with possibly the power supply to the tuner/cassette section, are you sure you have all the wires back in their correct places (boring question i know)

and another thought does this machine have "sleep" option

there is another little test you can try, and that is to put a signal in through the "line in" sockets (CD etc) this should go more less via the input selector to the tone/vol board

Gary
Old 29th Jan 2012, 8:08 pm   #40
Bensdad
Tetrode

In response to Gary ,
Do you mean the power feeds from the mains input (transformer) , in which case , yes , they are connected to the board , this machine does not have `sleep` , just `line-in` , `Radio`, `tape`.
I connected a music centre to the 5pin Din input on the back of the unit , result = no sound , just the characteristic `surge` noise when changing the selector switch , the other sockets on the rear of the unit are left/right mic input (small jack) and left/right speaker (small jack)
Closed Thread