UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Oct 2006, 6:37 pm   #1
boiss
Pentode

Default D & G

Finally David has tamed Goliath and all on 26V Ht. Unfortunately I couldn't get the original EC88 to modulate the 813 with any sort of reasonable linearity. In the end I used a triode strapped EF80, an EF 91 would have been better but I didnt have one and couldn't find one locally. The Ht transformer is a 3VA 18V toroid and the heater transformer is an 80VA 9V jobby. While working on it, the primary went O/C had to dig in and find roughly where the break was and loop it, I now get about 10V out of it. The heater voltage for the 813 is 8.5V stabilised. Current input Ia is about 0.75mA, power output is 0.8mW into 50 Ohms and modulation is about 70% max without noticeable distortion. The O/P is very clean with no detectable harmonics on my ICF7600 unlike my previous attempt with the PL36. I'm not very happy with the LP filter but couldn't find any software that copes with different I/P and O/P impedances. If anyone knows where I can find some "Free" software that can give me some values for the filter, please let me know.
Cheers,
Mike.
Must start on my 813 amp now that this is running, How about mains Toroids for O/P transformers, (PP)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_2659-640.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	6220   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_2660-640.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	6221  
Old 18th Oct 2006, 9:54 pm   #2
adibrook
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: D & G

Wow. Looks cool. I like the Shassis.

May i ask why such a huge valve is used for such a seemingly low power role?
Old 19th Oct 2006, 9:17 am   #3
boiss
Pentode

Default Re: D & G

Just for the fun of doing it, apart from the fact that I've always liked running valves at low voltages. ie space charge mode etc. Here I tried it on the modulator but It wasn't very effective, putting more than a couple of volts positive on the control grid meant that the control grid current dragged down the Ht supply. The EF80 isn't suitable for this type of operation IMO.
Anyway it looks good.
Mike.
Closed Thread