UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Oct 2017, 5:56 pm   #1
Panrock
Nonode

Default Rtty

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeritus View Post
There really isn't much around on Short Wave these days. In Northern Europe, what there is seems to mainly be from China, offering news and Chinese language lessons to various countries in their native languages.
Yes, I fired up a vintage domestic radio on short wave recently and it was decidedly disappointing.

I remember when, in 1966, I was given my first radio - a Murphy A122 - and I discovered short waves for the first time, with its critical tuning between jam-packed stations and its 'robot noises': RTTY. Much later, I amazed my 8 year old nephew with these... he was convinced they were chirping, squawking robot birds!

I presume RTTY (radio teletype) just isn't the presence it once was everywhere on short wave. I've looked on Wikipedia, and it seems to be still used for weather services.

Steve
Old 13th Oct 2017, 7:51 am   #2
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default Re: Rtty

Hi Steve.

I believe that RTTY is still used on the amateur bands. I used to be a regular RTTY operator using a Commodore home computer. RTTY has propagation characteristics similar to Morse, and performs very well under weak signal or noisy conditions. The main problem with RTTY is the sheer time it takes to complete a contact... particularly if you are communicating with a slow typist!

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 13th Oct 2017, 11:01 am   #3
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

Default Re: Rtty

The best RTTY signal to check your gear is DDK9 10100.8 kHz (and other frequencies) running standard 50 Baud +/- 225 Hz. There's amateur stuff too. There are also signals that sound like RTTY, but are not standard speeds/tones and are probably encrypted.

Of course there are lots of data transmissions from the military, etc. that as far as I know are un-resolvable by the casual listener.

There are still quite a few AM transmissions on SW, but not many to Europe any more.

Ian

Last edited by AC/HL; 13th Oct 2017 at 12:21 pm. Reason: OT aside edited
Closed Thread