UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Oct 2004, 6:14 pm   #1
paulsherwin

Default Replacing plasticky fabric used on portables

I've recently acquired a Stella ST403T trannie which was on it's way to the tip. The fabric covering was ripped and filthy, and the radio obviously hadn't been used for very many years. However, when I opened it up the internals looked clean and original apart from the 30 year old PP9 which had corroded so much it had split in half!

Anyway, a new PP9 and a generous squirt of switch cleaner and it actually works! In view of the good condition of the innards I want to have a token go at restoring the cabinet. This is wooden and covered with a plasticky fabric much used around 1960 - the Ever Ready Sky Baronet is covered with it. It's acoustically transparent so can cover the complete cabinet including the speaker holes.

Does anyone have any experience recovering one of these cabinets? Can anyone suggest a covering material? Obviously I'd prefer any material to look like the original, but I'll consider anything which looks reasonable.

TIA, Paul
Old 1st Oct 2004, 6:56 pm   #2
ChristianFletcher
Heptode

Default Re: Replacing plasticky fabric used on portables

I'm not sure if you mean that stick on vinyl. It used to be sold under the name fablon I think and you could buy it from DIY stores and craft shops. You can also buy all sorts of plastic material and trim from classic car supplier. If you get stuck I can have a look through my car mags.

Regards Chris
Old 1st Oct 2004, 7:16 pm   #3
paulsherwin

Hi Paul,

Unfortunately I have no idea what a Stella ST403T looks like but I do know what a Sky Baronet looks like. Is the covering the same as the sky baronet or are you just trying to describe the rubbery, plasticky acoustically transparent type of stuff?

Anyhow I have some stuff that I would describe as rubbery cloth which may be of use? How much do you need? I can try to take some photos if you like?

David

The Stella is smaller and boxier than a Sky Baronet but the covering is basically the same, even down to the two tone effect (though the actual colours aren't the same). That's exactly the stuff I need. Is your rubbery cloth like that?

Chris, I remember Fablon though I'm not sure if it can be bought now. It was the 'sticky back plastic' of Blue Peter fame, basically adhesive vinyl. The stuff I'm after seems to be a composite of plastic and fabric, which is opaque but allows sound through.

Thanks for the response, Paul

Last edited by Darren-UK; 22nd May 2007 at 10:42 pm. Reason: Posts merged to simplify thread.
Old 1st Oct 2004, 8:43 pm   #4
PaulR
Dekatron

Paul

Sid Chaplin does it, at least he did a couple of years ago. I have some samples in front of me, and the type you want comes in bright tourquoise or a sludgy grey/green. Take your pick! In case you haven't got it his Email is Sidney@tradgrills.freeserve.co.uk. Tel:01702 473740.

Paul
Old 1st Oct 2004, 8:56 pm   #5
mikelect
Retired Dormant Member

Sticky back plastic or Fablon is sold at Wilkinson stores 8) HTH

Mike
Old 1st Oct 2004, 9:05 pm   #6
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

The original stuff was known as "Vynair", made by ICI.
Here's the link to Sid Chaplin's samples,

http://www.vintage-radio.com/trg/trg3.gif

Some choice colours here! .

Regards, Mick.

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 26th Dec 2004 at 5:32 pm. Reason: Fix link or code for vBulletin
Old 1st Oct 2004, 9:20 pm   #7
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickjjo
The original stuff was known as "Vynair", made by ICI.
Here's the link to Sid Chaplin's samples,

http://www.vintage-radio.com/trg/trg3.gif

Some choice colours here! .

Regards, Mick.
Thanks for the link. The colours aren't great, but I supose all the good colours were used up in production and these are the dodgy colours that nobody wanted to use I guess some of it would do at a pinch. I'll see what David comes up with first.

Best regards, Paul

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 26th Dec 2004 at 5:33 pm. Reason: Fix link or code for vBulletin
Closed Thread