UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Jul 2019, 9:15 pm   #1
Wendymott
Octode

Default Birketts of Lincoln

Hi Mod.. I hope this is allowed..I have NO commercial interest what so ever.
Today Sat 13th, I visited the great city of Lincoln..First port of call was my old dear friend John Birkett. It was 6 years since I last visited the shop, when I bought an Eddy 870.
As I had had no contact I was unsure if JB was still with us..however on entering the shop, I was pleasantly surprised to see JB sitting in his chair over seeing proceedings.
After the usual niceties and chit chat, I asked if I was permitted to take some general photo's around the shop to which he agreed, and said I could post them on the forum, as lots of forum members would be interested.
John is now of an age that many would strive to....but his health is waning, but the mind is still as sharp as I remember.
Although he remains open the radio stuff is much diminished and a lot of the stock is military aircraft parts. As I was chatting a lady came in with a request for ANYTHING Vulcan... she went away with an altimeter for her hubby..so to all that have met John in the past, this is a small update to say he is still in business, if anyone wants a Vulcan Altimeter he's your man.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shop 1.jpg
Views:	632
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	186631   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shop 4.jpg
Views:	556
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	186632   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shop 3.jpg
Views:	581
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	186633   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shop 5.jpg
Views:	629
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	186634   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shop 6.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	186635  

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 13th Jul 2019, 9:24 pm   #2
chriswood1900
Octode

Default Re: Birketts of Lincoln

Wendy
Thanks for the update, it is god to hear he is still getting along, it has been about 2 years since I was last there stocking up on wander plugs and a few other items.
Chris
Old 13th Jul 2019, 10:35 pm   #3
Boulevardier
Octode

Me too. It's at least 45 years since I was in there, but was always a great shop. Good to hear that some of these places are still hanging on (and I assume it's for love of the business and the type of customers who come in, not for the money!).

Mike
Old 13th Jul 2019, 11:30 pm   #4
Paul_RK
Dekatron

I've not visited Lincoln since we moved from there some 31 years ago, maybe it's time I did now we're a little nearer than we were. Still have an SX28 I bought from Birketts way back when.

Paul
Old 14th Jul 2019, 12:46 pm   #5
Wendymott
Octode

The last photo shows a range of Head sets from Military aircraft..very reasonably priced...with an assortment of Jack plugs.. None of this "modern"stuff.

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 14th Jul 2019, 1:04 pm   #6
pastyboy
Hexode

was there a couple of years ago as SWMBO comes from Lincoln, wanted to see if he had any TV spares but sadly no. Used to buy lots of nice cheap RF power transistors from JB in the mid 90's. Anyone remember Brian Bamber of Bamber surplus Ely and Frank Mozer of Edmonton ? both great surplus outlets.
Old 14th Jul 2019, 8:56 pm   #7
Aub
Nonode

Thanks for the post Wendy.
Old 15th Jul 2019, 9:44 am   #8
David Simpson
Nonode

Does John's son & daughter in law - Ivana still run the technical literature site ?
Some years back I acquired a PTR175 + its giant 800 page AP from a chap who had originally bought them from Birketts. I later donated them to the "963" Shackleton project at Coventry Airfield.
I reckon that Birketts have touched many Forum/ BVWS/ VMARS folk over the years, one way or another.

Regards, David
Old 15th Jul 2019, 10:01 am   #9
mole42uk
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Simpson View Post
I reckon that Birketts have touched many Forum/ BVWS/ VMARS folk over the years, one way or another.

Regards, David
How true.

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 15th Jul 2019, 10:21 am   #10
GrimJosef
Dekatron

True indeed. Brought up in Lincolnshire, I bought a 19 set from John's shop as a lad in the early 70's and heaved it back to Boston on the train ! Much more recently I bought the CT160 I now use from John's stall at the NVCF - he said he'd been using it for a long time but he wouldn't be needing it any more ...

Cheers,

GJ
Old 15th Jul 2019, 1:53 pm   #11
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Not many shops like that left now. Never met John but I'm pretty sure I sent him some of my pocket money in my youth and eagerly awaited the arrival of the parcel.

J E Annakin was another one I sent my savings too.

Peter
Old 15th Jul 2019, 2:28 pm   #12
Wendymott
Octode

Peter N.. Jack Annakin was my friend and mentor for many years.. he was a staunch member of Otley Radio Society.. I met Jack when I was at school... prior to ORS.
I bought from him his 22 valve stereo audio pre amp for....... £2... yes £2.... then later, after he developed his solid state class "A" power amp, his Valve power amp with 4 x KT66's with all power supplies. All the audio was run with DC heaters to minimise hum. The word "audiophools" could NEVER be aimed at JE, as he developed and made all his own. RIP Jack. Gone but NEVER forgotten.

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Closed Thread