UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Oct 2004, 9:47 am   #1
GMB
Dekatron

Default R1155 d/f meter

I am just trying to get one of these to come apart but I think it is stuck. It would help to hear from someone who has done this because I don't want to break it but may have to apply a lot of force.

Mine seems to be made of black plastic but with a metal rear cover. The meter terminals stick out and seem part of the plastic core. A centre mounting is also into the plastic. There are 3 countersunk holes on the back which I presume is where the screws that held it together use to be (someone has been here before).

It looks to me as though the meter rear cover is meant to slide off. The problem being that some of the rear plastic bits may be attached to the metal or maybe not. I need to be sure what comes away with the cover and what doesn't so I can make an extracter to pull it apart. Or am I missing something about the way it holds together?
(I need to access the front glass for repair).
Old 11th Feb 2005, 11:00 am   #2
GMB
Dekatron

Default Re: R1155 d/f meter

Well, after months of effort I have got the metal cover off.
Each day I sprayed it with WD40 and levered it another 0.1mm.

Having done this I found that inside was a normal plastic meter case
The outer metal cover serves no obvious purpose. It turns out to be 2mm thick steel - fully rusted on the inside (hence the problem).

The inner case was clearly designed to have the outer one fitted over it.
Ideas so far are magnetic screening (unlikely as it is pretty magnetic itself) or armour plating??

Now to get the inner case open..........
Old 13th Feb 2005, 12:12 am   #3
jim_beacon
Retired Dormant Member

I think the metal case is part of the spring attachment for the anti-vibration mount (we did re-build one at work a couple of years ago, but I can't remeber the details - it is in part of the manual though).

Jim.
Old 13th Feb 2005, 6:28 pm   #4
GMB
Dekatron

Quote:
I think the metal case is part of the spring attachment for the anti-vibration mount
Not sure about this. The odd thing about the metal case is that it had no mountings at all and didn't look like it had been in a clamp either. The rear mounting bolt passed through to the plastic case inside.

FURTHER PROBLEM

Having got my meter apart I found that I cannot clean the glass.
Reason: it's laminated!! And it's the plastic layer that has degraded.

Anyone know how to renovate laminated glass??
(My wife thinks I should leave it because otherwise it won't be original).
Old 13th Feb 2005, 6:34 pm   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB
Having got my meter apart I found that I cannot clean the glass.
Reason: it's laminated!! And it's the plastic layer that has degraded.

Anyone know how to renovate laminated glass??
(My wife thinks I should leave it because otherwise it won't be original).
I've never heard of any ways of renovating laminated glass, I'm afraid.

My inclination would be to take your wife's advice, but only if the degradation doesn't significantly detract from the unit's aesthetic appeal.

On the other hand, if it makes it look grubby and third-rate and you can make a replacement easily enough, then I'd replace it. If you're a real purist, you could store the old glass somewhere, I suppose, just in case.
Closed Thread