UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Sep 2019, 8:33 pm   #1
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Default Recomendation SMD Tweezer iron

Which tweezer soldering iron is best for SMD work? Any to avoid? For hobbyist use only. Are there any reasonably priced, decent irons out there?

John.
Old 15th Sep 2019, 7:18 am   #2
barrymagrec
Octode

Default Re: Recomendation SMD Tweezer iron

You need a fine tipped Iron and separate Tweezers.
Old 15th Sep 2019, 7:30 am   #3
Radio Wrangler

A tweezer iron is used to heat both ends of a component at once for removal. it can do things plain tweezers and a single iron cannot.

I have an OKI station I don't use. The hot tweezers are too big and clunky.

At work, we have Metcal tweezers. They are great on small components, but lack the power for RF components on solid groundplane without thermal reliefs. The tweezers have the power equivalent to one Metcal iron shared between the blades

Me, I use a pair of Metcal irons, one in each hand. Plenty of power, components are flipped off easily and you're ready for soldering without any delay. It wasn't expensive because I scrounged dead Metcal power units and fixed them. DO NOT LEAVE THEM ON they overheat and fail.

David
Old 15th Sep 2019, 7:42 am   #4
evingar
Octode

Another vote fro Metcal tweezers.
Great fro small SM components, especially if you are doing them in bulk.
Old 15th Sep 2019, 7:51 am   #5
barrymagrec
Octode

Yes, I use the two iron technique for component removal - very effective.
Old 15th Sep 2019, 11:03 am   #6
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrymagrec View Post
Yes, I use the two iron technique for component removal - very effective.

That is what I have been doing, hoped there was an affordable all in one unit.

John.
Old 15th Sep 2019, 12:00 pm   #7
Pamphonica
Nonode

I have had the most success with Metcal. Definitely not cheap but excellent results. Contact me via PM and I may have a set spare for sale.
Jeremy
Old 15th Sep 2019, 12:20 pm   #8
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

We have JBC ones at work, they make changing 2 legged SMD’s a doddle, I would like a set, but they are not cheap!! There was a Metcal version at work too, but one of the bits was broken and we hadn’t any spares for it, the handle part looked quite huge to me, but then it was probably an ancient one! Probably got skipped in the boss’s old equipment purge...

Be interesting if there were some really cheap ones about, see if they are worth trying or not, a bit like those cheap Chinese low voltage irons that were mentioned on here a while ago.

Regards
Lloyd
Old 15th Sep 2019, 1:11 pm   #9
chriswood1900
Octode

I use these, they are cheap and I only use them occasionally but they are good enough to do removals I always prefer to solder SMD parts with my fine tipped Metcal one side at a time as I find it very hard to get an accurate position using the tweezers.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yantai-ZD-4...gateway&sr=8-1

Regards Chris
Old 15th Sep 2019, 2:20 pm   #10
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswood1900 View Post
I use these, they are cheap and I only use them occasionally but they are good enough to do removals I always prefer to solder SMD parts with my fine tipped Metcal one side at a time as I find it very hard to get an accurate position using the tweezers.

Regards Chris

I have tried soldering one end at a time, unfortunately it actually cracks some components, symptoms being the PCB becoming microphonic or complete failure. The symptoms take a day or two to show in my experience.

I did look at the iron in the link and wondered if they were any good. There is another cheap make on the Net but the reviews were not good.

Last edited by 60 oldjohn; 15th Sep 2019 at 2:26 pm.
Old 15th Sep 2019, 3:28 pm   #11
chriswood1900
Octode

Not yet had any problem with cracks, my technique is to tack one end lightly solder the other end and then finish off the side I tacked properly, what sort of components were they that cracked John?
Old 15th Sep 2019, 3:36 pm   #12
evingar
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60 oldjohn View Post
Quote:

Regards Chris

I have tried soldering one end at a time, unfortunately it actually cracks some components, symptoms being the PCB becoming microphonic or complete failure. The symptoms take a day or two to show in my experience.

I did look at the iron in the link and wondered if they were any good. There is another cheap make on the Net but the reviews were not good.

Yes, I've had similar problems with ceramic capacitors. They need treating with great care, both in terms of physical handing and also with respect to thermal shock. As you infer, the faults can take a while to see and then can be intermittent in nature.
Old 15th Sep 2019, 4:07 pm   #13
Vintage_RC
Heptode

Quote:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yantai-ZD-4...gateway&sr=8-1

Regards Chris
They look worth a punt, how fine are the tips?
Old 15th Sep 2019, 4:33 pm   #14
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Quote:
Not yet had any problem with cracks, my technique is to tack one end lightly solder the other end and then finish off the side I tacked properly, what sort of components were they that cracked John?

They are ceramic capacitors, 0805 on a new build. I think I will have to warm the board before soldering the 18 components. Possibly get some solder paste.

John.
Old 15th Sep 2019, 4:45 pm   #15
chriswood1900
Octode

Alan
They are basically pieces of bent metal screwed to the end of the elements, i think they came with a couple of sizes and would be easy to file down if you wanted a narrow tip, I found them OK on 0805 and 1206 size parts, one thing I did notice was don't leave them on too long they seem to be made as 220V and tend to get very hot.
Fine for the occasional de-soldering removal.
Chris
Old 15th Sep 2019, 5:34 pm   #16
Vintage_RC
Heptode

Thanks Chris
Old 15th Sep 2019, 7:30 pm   #17
woodchips
Octode

I did a survey before I bought mine, Pace, and they are not very good. I was told, by Pace, thet they use just one tip temperature sensor for both tips with the expected result.

Apparently newer ones, last 15 years, are better.

What is useful with them is that they use standard 3/16" diameter copper rod for the tips, making it very easy to make special tips for yourself, very cheaply. Use 1/16" copper sheet and rivet the end on and works well.
Closed Thread