UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Oct 2017, 9:21 pm   #1
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.
Default BVWS Swap Meet 12th November, Transport?

Its a month until the next swap meet at Golbourne on 12th November. Members only but I believe non members will be welcome if invited, you can join on the day too.

Its a good day out with like minded souls, some nice items to look at. Refreshments available.

If anyone would like transport from around Middlewich, Cheshire up to the meeting, I have room for 4 passengers and a bit of cargo. ( providing you don't buy too much there!)

Sam.
Old 13th Oct 2017, 9:45 pm   #2
audiomagpie
Heptode

Default Re: BVWS Swap Meet 12th November, Transport?

Just to clarify the member/non member confusion that often crops up:

VISITORS ARE WELCOME AT ALL OF OUR SWAPMEETS AND AUCTIONS, JUST COME ALONG, NO NEED TO BE INVITED!!

We don't mind anyone* coming along for a sample visit or two to see what we are all about, so that you can 'try before you buy!'
However, only subscribing members will be able to obtain an auction bidding card and thus bid at our auctions.
If visitors repeatedly turn up to our meetings they will be asked to join. If they refuse, we reserve the right to refuse admission to the event. Past members are allowed to visit if they renew their membership there and then. It is not fair to subscribing members if others take liberties, you can't have your cake and eat it.

*There may be, thankfully in extremely rare circumstances, ex members/potential members who due to their known previous activities or behaviour are not deemed to be suitable to join/re join our society. Likewise, they would be refused admission.

I hope this helps explain and we look forward to seeing you there, please do come along!

BVWS committee chairman

Last edited by audiomagpie; 13th Oct 2017 at 9:51 pm.
Old 13th Oct 2017, 10:34 pm   #3
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

As Greg makes clear Golborne [in particular] is a very welcoming event. It's the only one in the North and there is no real point in turning "visitors" away unless it's absolutely necessary - I've never seen that happen anywhere but there has to be a policy in place! If anyone's worried about "standing out" in some way, it's not as if everyone will automatically know others anyway

There are a lot of radio enthusiasts within reach of Golborne and if it's your first time there is little chance of rejection, plus there's a lot of bacon butties to get through. Apart from Golborne, I often go to the newest swapmeet [Punnetts Town] in East Sussex, which is also very accommodating. There is NO auction at these two swapmeet events so you can't miss out that way either. Plenty of items to purchase from the stalls of course

Dave W
Old 15th Oct 2017, 6:01 pm   #4
mark_in_manc
Octode

I'll be attending, as I have something for a forum member. At the same time I have some bits of test gear etc (often partly faulty, in pieces or of unknown functionality!) I have not sold for my charity sell-ups, and I wondered if I might bring them and donate to the BVWS stall. I don't want to fill the stall up with c**p, but at the same time maybe someone would find something useful, and it could go for pennies or whatever. If someone 'in charge' reads this and would like to PM me about what I have and what might or might not sell, please do so.

cheers
Mark
Old 16th Oct 2017, 8:15 am   #5
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Advertising feature - Bring & Buy stall

Donations are also welcome on the Bring & Buy stall - though I do ask that donors take away with them any unsold items, as I don't have space, either in my car or back at base, for unsold items.

The Bring & Buy will also sell items on your behalf if they are too few to justify booking your own stall. In this case, there is a commission of 10% deducted from the sale price*. Again, please take with you any unsold items - and don't forget also to collect the cash from any items sold this way.

*Please state what price you wish to/are willing to sell for. Any offers below a previously-stated minimum will be referred to the seller.
Old 16th Oct 2017, 10:34 am   #6
mark_in_manc
Octode

Great, Dave. What's a good time to get things to the bring-and-buy, and to take them away (let's be realistic) again?

Having dug through my forum PMs here, I note it's to you that I owe a scope multiplexer. So I'll make sure to bring that too.

cheers
Mark
Old 16th Oct 2017, 10:57 am   #7
Dave Moll
Dekatron

I am happy to receive items for B&B once I have arrived (in advance of the start of "trading") and got myself settled in. Be aware, though, that there is potentially a rush of people registering items for B&B at the start of the event, so I crave your patience. As for taking items away, this is up to you, but just before you leave or as the event starts to wind down, whichever is earlier.

As far as asking to purchase items is concerned, please wait until the start of trading has been announced, to give other people a fair chance. I have had people in the past asking to purchase items in advance of the official start, which puts me in an awkward position.

Thanks, Mark, for remembering the 'scope multiplexer. I am also hoping to collect a number of PW magazines from @Kentode and a Philips TV (or "blob" as he calls it) from Mike Phelan. If there is anything else I have arranged to bring or collect, a reminder would be welcome.
Old 17th Oct 2017, 12:15 pm   #8
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
As far as asking to purchase items is concerned, please wait until the start of trading has been announced, to give other people a fair chance. I have had people in the past asking to purchase items in advance of the official start, which puts me in an awkward position.
Traders are prohibited from selling items until the start of trading so it is correct that this rule applies to the B&B stall too.

Please respect the B&B stall organisers for enforcing this, and allow them to get on with accepting items for the stall. Dave, it shouldn't be awkward for you, you are following the BVWS event rules so just state that.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Closed Thread