UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Sep 2017, 7:45 pm   #1
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Lincoln Ham Festival

Friday/Saturday this week.29/30th September.

Is any of our members going? I hope to be there but as it is my dear wife's birthday I shall take her to a very nice Curry Restaurant in Newark for lunch.
Old 27th Sep 2017, 9:50 pm   #2
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Default Re: Lincoln Ham Festival

I intend going on Friday.

John.
Old 27th Sep 2017, 9:55 pm   #3
Reelman
Octode

Friday for me as well.

Peter.
Old 28th Sep 2017, 7:05 am   #4
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

This the one at the Newark showground? I'll try and get over tomorrow. If you see a tall bloke with bright red hair/dreadlocks with a motorbike helmet in one hand looking bemused, that'll be myself. Be nice to chat.

Andy.
Old 28th Sep 2017, 12:14 pm   #5
Jeremy M0RVB
Hexode

I hope to be there tomorrow (Friday) (or I'll waste my pre-purchased ticket!)

Never been before.
Old 29th Sep 2017, 10:47 am   #6
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

I hope to be there Saturday, easy to recognise me as I am 6 foot not much hair and Pam my wife is 20 years younger.

Probably around the bring and buy stall.
Old 29th Sep 2017, 4:59 pm   #7
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

I have been today, did not see any of the above that intended going today.

John.
Old 2nd Oct 2017, 9:45 pm   #8
Techman
Dekatron

I went on Friday morning, I didn't spot Andy by his description!

I hadn't been for a couple of years and there seemed to be nowhere near the amount of outside traders that I remember from the last time I went, although the weather wasn't very good. Traders without covered stalls were struggling to keep things dry with plastic sheeting, others were just letting the stuff get rained on. However, the rain soon gave over and there was lots of good stuff at generally very sensible prices, well, put it this way, a lot less than internet prices! There were lots of valves, many new and boxed, all for £2 each! Watty droppers 20p each or seven for a quid. 2 meg log pots with dp switch @ three for £2 etc. etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100810.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	150237   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100795.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	150238   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100797.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	150239  
Old 2nd Oct 2017, 10:42 pm   #9
Herald1360
Dekatron

Oh!

So the "Lincoln Ham Festival" was the "National Hamfest" at Newark. Good job I didn't go to Lincoln looking for some kind of celebration of pork as an extra after leaving Newark lunchtime on Saturday.

No previous experience of the show so can't comment on its shrinkage or whatever, but there was enough to pass an interesting three hours or so mooching about. I bought a few NOS 6005s (mil spec 6AQ5s) and a DK96 and succumbed to the siren call of an SDR.

Did see an interesting Pamphonic PA amp on one stall (pic taken but left camera in friend's car).
.........O..Chris....O
Old 3rd Oct 2017, 11:27 am   #10
Jeremy M0RVB
Hexode

I was there on friday from about 10:30. Having never been I can't compare it but the flea market did seem sparse. Nice to see stuff up close but I didn't grab much, other than a SDRplay RSP2 followed me home, as did one of the QRP Labs transceiver kits.
Old 3rd Oct 2017, 7:43 pm   #11
greenstar
Octode

I went on Saturday on opening thinking Friday would be a washout for the car boot, but Saturday seemed almost devoid of vintage stuff. It was nothing like as good as previous years IMHO. But I do find these events are a little random - one stallholder with things I find exciting is all it takes. There was one chap with two pre war Hallicrafters, wanted £50 for both I saw, but have too much to catch up on from Harpenden!
Tony
Old 4th Oct 2017, 12:45 pm   #12
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

I didn't make it the end, drank some milk that was off and ended up in bed sick over the weekend. I really wanted to go too. From experience of past events prices are very reasonable compared to ebay etc.

Hope to see you all next year, Andy.
Old 4th Oct 2017, 8:26 pm   #13
Techman
Dekatron

I don't know, Andy - what are we gonna do with you? Sounds like we need to find you a decent fridge!

This ham fest used to be held just north of Lincoln back in the day, so that may be why it's still thought of as the 'Lincoln Ham Fest' by some.

I also noticed that 'Pam' amplifier, it was an orange brown sort of colour and shouted out restored or just freshly painted. No price on it and I didn't ask - I like to see things with a price sticker on!

A couple of years before, there was at least two rows of outside stalls rather than the single row on Friday.

The chap with the black Series 3 Jag had the outside stall with all the valves. There was a chap with two large black dogs buying valves while I was there. He had a 'shipping order' and spent nearly sixty quid on valves. There were four ECL86s and he bought all four. He told me he had a lot of radio stuff that he needed to get working including a Rogers amplifier and said that if something wasn't working then the first thing to do was to change all the valves. As you can imagine, I felt a lecture coming on, but resisted, just telling him that capacitors etc. might be the first port of call. I asked him if he was a member of this forum and he said he wasn't, but probably ought to be, so watch this space.
Old 4th Oct 2017, 9:54 pm   #14
Aub
Nonode

Wasn't this the show that always used to be held at Donnington Park at Castle Donnington?

I've never been a fan of the term "Hamfest" . I much prefer Amateur Radio Rally.

Cheers

Aub