UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Jun 2017, 2:59 pm   #1
GrahamN
Hexode

Default The Radiophile / Radio Bygones

The Radiophile (incorporating Radio Bygones) Issue 140 is now available and should be arriving on the doorstep of all subscribers very shortly. Now also available as a PDF version by email for those who prefer this method of distribution. Please visit www.radiophile.co.uk for more details.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cover-140.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	144422  
Old 14th Jun 2017, 5:49 pm   #2
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: The Radiophile / Radio Bygones

Mine arrived today thank you.
Old 14th Jun 2017, 5:55 pm   #3
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Tonights reading, may try to make it last more than a couple of days this time.
Old 14th Jun 2017, 8:48 pm   #4
AD360 Rob
Hexode

Mine arrived today too, a good read so far. (Only half way through !)
Old 16th Jun 2017, 12:55 pm   #5
Reelman
Octode

Hi Graham,
Have they all been sent out yet please? Have yet to receive mine......
Thanks,
Peter.
Old 16th Jun 2017, 12:59 pm   #6
Station X

I haven't received it either. I was an RB subscriber and used to receive the .pdf version by email.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 16th Jun 2017, 1:06 pm   #7
GrahamN
Hexode

If you send an email - admin@radiophile.co.uk - with your details I will check for you. As far as I am aware, all print copies have been sent directly from the printers and I do know that all PDF copies have been sent by email. With the amalgamation of Radio Bygones, though, I would be surprised if there weren't a few teething problems, but it is better to sort out by email than through the forum.
Old 16th Jun 2017, 1:08 pm   #8
Station X

Thanks Graham.

If I haven't received it by Monday I'll send an email.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 17th Jun 2017, 9:46 am   #9
Herald1360
Dekatron

I got a subscription reminder letter

Hope now I've coughed up, I'll get this edition.......
.........O..Chris....O
Old 20th Jun 2017, 3:39 pm   #10
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Mine arrived last Wednesday. It's excellent and well worth renewing the subs for [as I have done]. Forum Member Tony Thompson has the honour of providing the very first article [audio history] in the new Radiophile/bygones "Combi" No 140 but everything else in there is also of a very high quality.

I had wondered if there was a delay myself but [ironically] it was always sort of a tradition due to various mishaps that have plagued Chas over the years.

Graham the administrator has been doing such sterling work in diverting some of the load from the editor, getting things sorted and on-line etc that I'm confident any problems will be "teething" rather than recurring ones.

Dave W
Old 20th Jun 2017, 4:13 pm   #11
Reelman
Octode

Can I echo Dave W's words above. The new combined issue looks to be very good and a varied selection of articles to appeal to all tastes.

Also a special thanks to Graham for sorting out things for me.

Peter.
Old 22nd Jun 2017, 2:08 pm   #12
petervk2mlg
Heptode

My copy arrived in Australia today. Very welcome too.
Old 17th Jul 2017, 5:21 pm   #13
immediate
Tetrode

I have subscribed to Radio Bygones for many years, but every year I have prevaricated and almost decided not to renew. It was beautifully produced, but a little too ‘heavy’ and military orientated at times for my tastes. I always relented and renewed though.

Even more years ago I subscribed to The Radiophile (I think it was called The Radiogram at the time) but ceased a long while back.

I was sad when Radio Bygones reduced the frequency of publication, and sadder still to read of Mike Kenward’s health problems and the magazine’s demise. I fully expected the merger with The Radiophile to result in the stapled sheets I remember. Not a bit of it! My first copy was a revelation, and a wonderful introduction to the present incarnation. It is packed full of great articles, and I enjoyed it immensely. Sincere thanks to all concerned.

I like the old ads, but wonder if it would be possible for a date to be shown? This would really be appreciated.

I downloaded the sample issue and was engrossed in the article about ‘A Versatile Medium-Power Amplifier’ and was wondering what had caused the rhythmic "bouncing" effect mentioned at the bottom of page 17, only to find a circuit diagram on page 18 but no more mention of the bounce! Am I never to learn the solution to this mystery?

Finally, so much did I like the latest issue and the sample, I ordered some back issues. But the “discounts for quantities” (mentioned in the covering letter) were not referred to on the website, and I wonder how one might avail oneself of this offer?

Well done, and thanks again. And very best wishes to Mike Kenward.

All the best,

Allan
Old 17th Jul 2017, 5:40 pm   #14
GrahamN
Hexode

Hi Allan

I'll pass your comments over to Chas when I next speak to him, and I'll ask him about the amp for you.

With respect to quantity discounts, this is something that Chas has done for some time for print copies as postage is obviously cheaper. For PDFs, there is no actual saving when supplying, so any discount would necessarily be less. At some point it would be good to spell out discounts and offer an automated deal on the website when checking out, but it would involve quite a lot of reprogramming, so may well be some time coming!

Because I only help out with basic admin and looking after the website on a very part-time basis (an hour or two a month is about my limit), I keep a list of things to do and at the moment it's already quite long!

What I can say, though, is that I do try and respond to emails etc. as quickly as possible, so if you are interested in a quantity of magazines, then by all means let me know what you are looking for and I'll speak to Chas to try and organise a deal for you.

Graham
Old 22nd Jul 2017, 10:48 am   #15
1100 man
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by immediate View Post
I have subscribed to Radio Bygones for many years, but every year I have prevaricated and almost decided not to renew. It was beautifully produced, but a little too ‘heavy’ and military orientated at times for my tastes. I always relented and renewed though.
My father has been an RB subscriber for many years so I have been reading it too. The above comment exactly echos my feelings as Military and communications isn't my thing. Having nearly finished the new 'Radiophile', I have to say, I found it excellent. I like the personal story element and the general diversity of articles. Obviously, those who liked the 'heavier' slant to RB probably won't be too keen on the new RP!
Having started as a '405 Alive' subscriber, for me,there is a sad lack of TV related articles in either RP or The Bulletin. But then editors can only print articles that people submit so there is no excuse for me not to write something myself...
So well done and I look forward to the next magazine.
All the best
Nick
Old 6th Aug 2017, 10:36 pm   #16
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I'd not seen these July posts but I think they very accurately reflect the new magazine in all it's full colour, varied and eccentric difference! I thought, though, that RB was a nice, more forensic, contrast [military or not] to the others and ensured that there was only ever an accidental crossover with articles views etc between The Bulletin/Radiophile and RB. Given that Mike couldn't carry on, the negotiated transfer to a new combined organ has been a bit of a great success to say the least-I hope he is able to enjoy reading it. We all benefit from this and even those not at all interested in the archival record of radio and what we've been up to from the twentieth to twenty first century will be there in perpetuity [maybe].

Dave W
Old 29th Sep 2017, 4:34 pm   #17
1100 man
Octode

Good afternoon,
My father was wondering whether he should have had the next issue of 'Radiophile' by now? I have just checked the website and there is no mention of issue 141. Does anyone know when it is supposed to appear? We were both very impressed with the previous issue and are eagerly awaiting the next one!!
All the best
Nick
Old 29th Sep 2017, 6:59 pm   #18
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

I too am wondering where issue 141 is. It seems a very long while since the last one, early June I think, though we are to expect a reduction to 3 issues a year.

Last edited by Boater Sam; 29th Sep 2017 at 7:00 pm. Reason: correction
Old 29th Sep 2017, 7:52 pm   #19
GrahamN
Hexode

I spoke to Chas yesterday to see how he is getting on with the magazine, and he is still some way off finishing. My guess is it is probably going to be late October / early November before publication. I'm afraid it is a problem with Chas doing most of the work pertaining to the magazine himself, as well as organising auctions and integrating the Radio Bygones content. I am looking after the website and subscriber database for him, but that still leaves a lot of work for him to do.

Once I get anything definite, I will update the website as well as the Radiophile facebook page (www.facebook.com/radiophilepublications)
Old 29th Sep 2017, 7:55 pm   #20
GrahamN
Hexode

I should add that it would help if any subscription or similar queries be directed to me (either through the website or by pm) rather than telephoning Chas as he does get distracted a lot by telephone calls and usually has to get the information from me anyway!

Thanks
Closed Thread