UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Apr 2016, 8:12 pm   #21
Jeremy Lefever
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Wooden Cabinet Makers

Nick.
I've not seen my father (Leslie Charles Lefever) since I was 8 or 9, so we are talking about 50 years! He was born in 1928, & I've never read anywhere that he has passed away. I'll PM you with any details that I have.
Regards
Old 18th Oct 2017, 5:11 pm   #22
Jeremy Lefever
Retired Dormant Member

Default Pan Brit (again)

My father (and my grandfather) ran this company. Someone asked for more info. Attached was his business card at the time which just happened to fall out of a book the other day. This gives the address. (They diversified into other wood products and had steam presses to bend plywood into various shapes. I think they may have made a few of the cabinets of the 'People's Sets)
Regards
Jeremy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pan brit.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	150985  

Last edited by Station X; 18th Oct 2017 at 6:12 pm. Reason: Threads merged.
Old 18th Oct 2017, 6:04 pm   #23
Reelman
Octode

Default Re: Pan Brit (again)

Goodness! I must have gone passed your family’s premises many, many times when I went to play in Coronation Gardens as a kid back in the 60s.
Small world isn’t it?
Peter
Old 18th Oct 2017, 7:00 pm   #24
emeritus
Dekatron

Default Re: Wooden Cabinet Makers

There was a programme on TV a couple of weeks ago about a company in that part of London (possibly the last one) that still makes shaped plywood furniture, but I don't recall the name. I had thought that they just shaped sheets of the sort of plywood you can buy from timber merchants, but it turns out that they make up their own plywood from the individual laminations, applying glue to the laminations before pressing the stack of sheets to shape while the glue sets. In the 1960's there were still several woodyards along the Lee Navigation in the area later occupied by the Olympic Park that got their wood delivered by canal barge from the London Docks. All gone now.
Closed Thread