UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Old 26th Nov 2023, 10:31 am   #21
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: 3 pin German audio Plug identification

Hi,
The centre pin was added to avoid it being inadvertently inserted into a mains socket as they were the same size.
I have an old French PA amp where the inputs, outputs and mains (albeit male) connections are all the same.
Cheers, Pete.
Old 26th Nov 2023, 1:56 pm   #22
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: 3 pin German audio Plug identification

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcMahon View Post
Yes I am the same and I am still trying to find a 5 rectanglar pins inline plug for one of my Philips machines, # 112 from Post 3.

David
I think I have _one_ of those somewhere, but I am keeping it as I have several Philips tape recorders and radios that have such sockets. I've seen it called an 'IEC plug'

Getting back to the original plug, there were 2 versions, one with a round centre pin (same as the other 2 pins), the other with a flat one. Philips seemed to have a convention that one type was used for inputs, the other for outputs (so the normal cable had one of each type on the ends). I forget which was used for which though.
TonyDuell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2023, 8:05 pm   #23
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)

Hi,
Italian plugs also have a centre round (earth) pin.
So I wonder how much confusion that caused back in the day.
Cheers. Pete.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Italian plug 1.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	288823  
Old 26th Nov 2023, 10:11 pm   #24
emeritus
Dekatron

Default Re: 3 pin German audio Plug identification

My understanding is that the standard Italian plug's pins are spaced further apart than the standard European 19mm pitch. The smaller resilient pins of the 2.5A Europlug will diverge enough to fit, but the rigid French and German plugs will not. That was my experience on a holiday in Italy more than a decade ago. I don't know what their current practice is. I have seen Italian sockets with oval openings that will accept both types.

Last edited by emeritus; 26th Nov 2023 at 10:11 pm. Reason: typos
emeritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2023, 11:28 pm   #25
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Hi,
The 6 amp plug has the same pitch, but the larger 10 amp one has greater diameter pins spaced further apart.
Apologies if I've drifted off topic.
Cheers, Pete.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Italian plug 3.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	288839   Click image for larger version

Name:	Italian plug 2.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	288840