UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Mar 2023, 6:11 pm   #1
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Diamond Sharpening Tool

I'm now readying garden tools . I watched a YouTube video about sharpening the case-hardened blades you find in garden shredders. The guy suggested the final step was to use a diamond sharpener, an item I have never owned.

The one he used looked a bit like this inexpensive (~£4) item https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392875928968 Many other vendors are available.

Well, I've not got on to the shredder yet, but the tool has now been used on just about every blade in the house and the shack and it is sensational , I cannot recall the last time a £4 purchase brought so much satisfaction; much recommended. Use dry or with water seems to be the norm.

B
Old 5th Mar 2023, 7:10 pm   #2
Cruisin Marine
Heptode

Default Re: Diamond Sharpening Tool

I will get one of these on your recommendation- thanks
Old 5th Mar 2023, 7:21 pm   #3
paulsherwin

I bought a cheap one that looks like a rod inside a thin handle years ago. It's about the size of a ballpoint pen. It was sold as a knife sharpener, but can be used with any steel blade. It works very well.
Old 5th Mar 2023, 7:33 pm   #4
Boulevardier
Octode

Thanks for the tip, Bazz. Just ordered one!

Mike
Old 5th Mar 2023, 8:11 pm   #5
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Diamond sharpening tools are great. I use a set of diamond files in the radio workshop, they far out perform the original rat tail files. Is it diamond dust, or man made diamond that is used to make these tools?

John.
Old 5th Mar 2023, 8:36 pm   #6
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

I have one that is ex bt. In an orange tube, (Same colour as their retractable blade knoves). It unscrews and then the tube forms the handle. Used it just over an hour ago, sharpening the carving knife.
Rob
Old 5th Mar 2023, 9:01 pm   #7
wireman
Heptode

I have a couple of sharpening stones but I don't think they are diamond. I have purchased from Knivesandtools (https://www.knivesandtools.co.uk/) in the past and they seem to have a good stock of different styles. From looking around, DMT (https://www.dmtsharp.com/sharpeners/...harpeners.html) looks like a popular make and is sold by a couple of tool suppliers I use.
So if anyone is looking for info on these you could try those sites.
Old 6th Mar 2023, 11:33 am   #8
Martin Bush
Octode

Thanks Bazz - I have ordered one...
Old 6th Mar 2023, 12:26 pm   #9
ex 2 Base
Heptode

Aldi / Lidl have smaller versions on "offer" from time to time, a packet of 6, some round, flat, triangle etc. I've had mine several years, and they are still going strong, I sharpen up Stanley knife blades and touch up disposable lathe tools tips using them. Ted
Old 7th Mar 2023, 8:52 am   #10
trevatxtal
Triode

A Tips for all Diamond sharpeners ( I use many sorts From pencil size to 3" X 5" plates plus files"
First Do not use force unlike a standard file or stone use just enough pressure to cut, (it breaks the cutting tips of the Diamond, can be seen under a micro scope) Diamonds are very brittle.
Second NEVER use on soft material such as Brass, Copper,Aluminum, Zink ,Lead and so on. If you do it will clog the file and unlikely cleanable.
The finer the Diamond the keener the edge on the cutting tool but takes longer.
Old 7th Mar 2023, 2:13 pm   #11
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevatxtal View Post
A Tips for all Diamond sharpeners ( I use many sorts From pencil size to 3" X 5" plates plus files"
First Do not use force unlike a standard file or stone use just enough pressure to cut, (it breaks the cutting tips of the Diamond, can be seen under a micro scope) Diamonds are very brittle.
Second NEVER use on soft material such as Brass, Copper,Aluminum, Zink ,Lead and so on. If you do it will clog the file and unlikely cleanable.
The finer the Diamond the keener the edge on the cutting tool but takes longer.
Yes, I saw a note somewhere advising frequent cleaning with a stiff brush. I did it in water, then added just the tiniest amount of washing-up liquid to get the surface tension down, but finished off with a good rinse in tap water. I guess that using it on any soft metal would probably kill it.

The finer of the two sides on this cheap tool is 200grit; I'd quite like to try out something finer.

I hope all you people who went out and bought one have checked that your First Aid kits are well stocked .

B
Old 8th Mar 2023, 10:38 pm   #12
Cruisin Marine
Heptode

Mine arrived today, not used it yet, which side is the fine grit side and which is rough?
Old 8th Mar 2023, 11:56 pm   #13
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

The perforated side is the smoother.

B
Old 17th Mar 2023, 2:58 am   #14
noble kiwi
Pentode

By chance I noted this post and as sharpening knives has always been a problem with me, even though I have known and properly used the standard procedures. I have ordered one on line and will be very interested to try it out. When I have done so I will report my findings. Meantime my thanks go to this site and its members.
Closed Thread