UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 31st May 2011, 3:44 pm   #1
Duke_Nukem
Octode

Default Legal UHF TV Transmitter ?

Are there any legal low-power ways to transmit 625 line stuff when analogue finally leaves Brum ? I have a video player whose modulator will be fine for connecting to those sets with aerial connectors (thanks Mikey405!), however a number of sets have no aerial connector (indeed, one such set uses the earpiece's lead as the aerial!). I'm not trying to broadcast any distance, as long as I can get a picture in the same room as the transmitter I'd be happy.

TTFN,
Jon
Old 31st May 2011, 4:09 pm   #2
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: Legal UHF TV Transmitter ?

a UHF aerial to output of modulator?

David
Old 31st May 2011, 4:43 pm   #3
paulsherwin

There are *no* legal UHF microtransmitters. These have never been legal, but there was a huge panic about them when they started to be imported in the early 80s and special legislation was passed. It's actually illegal to possess or sell one, unlike other illegal transmitters where it's just illegal to operate them.

You should be able to couple the output of a modulator to whatever the TV is using as an aerial by wrapping some wire around it. As David says, connecting a small indoor aerial to the modulator output may give enough signal to work across a room.
Old 31st May 2011, 5:37 pm   #4
paulsherwin

We don't allow discussion of transmitters which are clearly illegal on the forum, so the mods have decided to close this thread.

Anyone wishing to advise Jon privately is welcome to contact him by PM.

One post describing an illegal transmitter has been removed.
Closed Thread