UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Apr 2011, 6:47 pm   #1
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Default Aurora again

On the Aurora quckstart guide in note 2) it states that if used with an ac/dc set that an isolation transformer should be used between the Aurora and the tv. (as distinct from a mains isolation transformer.)

Can I buy such a device or are there any clever clogs here who can suggest number of turns, type of former etc to built one?

Thanks
Old 16th Apr 2011, 6:51 pm   #2
mark pirate
Dekatron

Default Re: Aurora again

I asked the same question, here is the link to the thread.
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=62908

Mark
Old 16th Apr 2011, 7:23 pm   #3
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Mark but that thread seems to rely on caps for the isolation. I was interested in using two coils on a common former inside a plastic box to give total and complete isolation. So far the losses have been too severe probably because I have got the turns wrong.
Old 16th Apr 2011, 8:13 pm   #4
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

You don't need an isolating transformer between the Aurora and the TV. The reasoning behind all this is that if the TV chassis is live and the aerial isolator fails then the Aurora and any video kit connected to it will go live. It may well badly damage the Aurora and other kit to have fault currents flowing.

To avoid this nasty situation it's a good idea to use an external isolator in the aerial feed. This could be a transformer (a ferrite ring with a few turns for each of primary and secondary should work) or a couple of class Y caps in a plastic box. One each for centre and braid.

I'm a naughty boy and don't bother but I do make very sure my TV chassis are connected to neutral and I use an RCD.
Old 16th Apr 2011, 8:17 pm   #5
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Jeffrey that is basically what I am asking but I don't want to rely on capacitors for isolation. How many turns to use now.

BTW I've just had a look at the TV22 diagram and it seems that the input coil is already isolated by two windings. It would do the same job to just remove the cap that ties it to deck.
Old 16th Apr 2011, 8:30 pm   #6
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Class Y caps are fine. Honestly. THat's what they are made for.

As for number of turns on a ferrite ring I'd start with 8 or so and see how much it mucks up the signal. On channel 1 you might need a few more, at the top of band 3 it may be too many. I'm sure it can be calculated but I'd suck it and see. Use a small ring, no more than 25mm across, preferably smaller. This is VHF you're doing, not audio.
Old 16th Apr 2011, 9:31 pm   #7
evingar
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
Thanks Jeffrey that is basically what I am asking but I don't want to rely on capacitors for isolation. How many turns to use now.
I used an off-the-shelf 1:1 transformer for mine - It was a type designed to isolate serial digital video (SDI). Not ideal, but works OK and is a neat solution constructionally.